Does a contactor need an overload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabatman

I have a service that has a load that is non-continuous (not a motor) of 197A at 208V-3ph. The electrical sub pulled a 300A feed to a contactor that is rated for 225A. It does have a 300A CB protecting it. The electrical inspector is stating that it won't pass like that. I always thought I only needed to size the contactor for the load. This will be a non-continuous load so really they are just oversizing the wire. I'm guessing possibly he has an issue that I need an overload but can't I rate the contactor for the load since it's not a continuous load? I can't find anything that says I do or don't need an overload though.

skeshesh

I can't find anything that says I do or don't need an overload though.

I think Larry's right. The code isn't an unlimited document and it cant spell out every situation so as long as it's not stated that you do need to do something (or to avoid doing something) I think you're fine.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is this any different than a pump panel with an oversized breaker for motor startup?:-?

I'd need to see a code article from the inspector for this one....

3-D

Would putting it on a 225 amp CB satisfy him? Again, no code article makes this tough...
Since this not not a motor circuit, than isn't the contactor a piece of equipment that should be protected at it's amperage rating?

Jim W in Tampa

I think if the breaker is 300 he is assuming the load might need that to start We really need to know what the load is if not a motor. Not at this point saying he is right or wrong. Why is breaker so high if not cont. or motor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.