gas burner wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rknrll813

I was told by a plumber who was told by another electrician that you can not use bx or mc when wiring a boiler, gas or oil. I have been wiring boilers for years using bx or mc. He said your supposed to use greenfield with thhn. but i thought thhn is already in the bx/mc, so why do twice the work. He said he thinks it has to do with temp. rating on the conductors.Is there any codes or information out there for wiring boilers gas or oil?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like you have a few guys who are misinformed. Boilers have been wired for 50 years with AC cable, maybe longer.

ceb58

Your first mistake was believing a plumber. The other elect. was probably tought to wire them with greenfield and he has blindly accepted this as code. I have a boss who will not accept greenfield or carflex on indoor installations. It must be liquid tight, that other stuff is not worth having. OK, what ever, your the one throwing money away

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Your first mistake was believing a plumber.

Hey.

I am both a lic. plumber and a lic. electrician. Who should I believe?

When my plumber is wrong I ask my electrical inspector (me).

When my electrician is wrong I ask my plumbing inspector (me).

At least I am always right!

hurk27

Hey.

Good thing your not also lic. for mechanical, or you could be arguing yourself into the nut house.:D

ceb58

Hey.

But when deciding hot on left do you get the hot water and the ungrounded conductor confused?

Jim W in Tampa

Your first mistake was believing a plumber. The other elect. was probably tought to wire them with greenfield and he has blindly accepted this as code. I have a boss who will not accept greenfield or carflex on indoor installations. It must be liquid tight, that other stuff is not worth having. OK, what ever, your the one throwing money away

And this is your fault. We can work an ID 10 T

peter d

In defense of the plumber, the OP did say the plumber was passing along information he got from an electrician. Let's not kill the messenger. ;)

Johnmcca

Personally I wouldn't take anything a plumber told me about about electrical connections seriously. I have a long record of them being horribly wrong about electricty, and only a little better about plumbing.

iMuse97

don't like your brother-in-law so much?? :) Anyway, to OP, the plumber reported a mistaken idea that the electrician had (unless, as mentioned, there is some local restriction).

kbsparky

Maybe that particular electrician wanted to sell more expensive jobs, justified by the "requirement" to utilize conduit instead of AC or MC cable?

Or, it could have been that the only jobs he did were using Gov't specs that called for more expensive wiring methods?

I've never had any problems in using type AC or MC cable when wiring boiler systems.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I was told by a plumber who was told by another electrician that you can not use bx or mc when wiring a boiler, gas or oil. I have been wiring boilers for years using bx or mc. He said your supposed to use greenfield with thhn. but i thought thhn is already in the bx/mc, so why do twice the work. He said he thinks it has to do with temp. rating on the conductors.Is there any codes or information out there for wiring boilers gas or oil?

The only think that I could find do far is from the mechanical code:

"304.2 Conflicts.

Where conflicts between this code and the conditions of listing or the manufacturer?s installation instructions occur, the provisions of this code shall apply.

Exception: Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer?s installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer?s installation instructions shall apply."

From: http://www.peerlessboilers.com/Prod...9/tabid/204/Default.aspx#dnn_relateddocuments

"This appliance is to be wired in accordance with local
codes and regulations as defined by the Authority having
jurisdiction. In the absence of such local codes, the
PUREFIRE boiler is to be wired in accordance with the latest
edition of the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70."

Status
Not open for further replies.