Looking for a good wire labeler

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been using a Brady ID Xpert handheld wire labeler in our panel shop for several years and have had numerous issues with it.
It constantly eats the cartridge ribbons and gets jammed. We've cleaned it and done everything Brady recommends, but it continues to cost us time and money. Now they want $225.00 just to look at it. Add in about $600.00 worth of damaged cartridges and I've had enough!:mad:

Can anyone recommend a good/ reliable labeler? We primarily use the the self laminated wire markers and 0.24 terminal strip markers.

Thanks!

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Don't know if this will do what you are looking for. I too got tired of the ID pal. It still works if you wedge the cartridge against the contacts, but the tape seems to mess up too easily.

The CDW price is better than anywhere else for the same item. The graphic is not of the 1650. The tapes are readily available at office supply stores and also work in the desktop printers.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=644167

i use this labeler almost every day and it works great and has lots of different label cartraiges available and print options. We've probably printed over 10000 labels w/o any problems.

http://www.panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/ProductSearch/index.htm?Ne=1&lastNodeId=ss_idandlabelingsystems&sid=124166846511&N=5000001%201242+3007204&recName=LS8EQ

I've heard from several people that these are very good units. I'm trying to find a local distributor who will give us a demo for a week or two. :cool:

charlie k.

Designer man, I have the LS8 from Panduit and have had no problems with it. It is 4 years old and is used primarily in industrial settings. Our distributor in Md. is CLS.

Charlie

jdsmith

Can anyone recommend a good/ reliable labeler? We primarily use the the self laminated wire markers and 0.24 terminal strip markers.

We probably have a dozen ID Xpert's in an industrial plant and haven't had a problem with any of them, but we probably haven't run as many labels as you have either. We print a mix of junction box labels on standard tape, slip on wire tags, and self laminating labels for Cat 6 or fiber with factory ends where you can't use a slip on. For higher volume panel work with a large number of slip ons or self laminating tags we use a stationary bench unit from Brady. If you're in a panel shop having problems with an ID Xpert that's like me being disappointed that I can't get 900,000 miles out of my truck - it's not designed for that much use, so I can either replace it more frequently or buy something that is designed to last that long.

I would say you can choose to have a bench unit and an ID Xpert or Panduit LS8 for field use, or stick with a handheld only and replace it more often.

P.S. - You use a lot of self laminated labels in a panel shop? I'm surprised your customers don't require slip-ons.

kevinkk

Brady TLS-2200

Brady TLS-2200

Brady TLS-2200 would be my vote.
I have had the same one since 98 and it still works great, I have replaced the battery twice and the cutter once.
It prints on a huge number and types of labels my favorite is the heat shrink tubes.
It is hand held but you can connect to PC for use as a printer when you have a lot of labels to print.

Status
Not open for further replies.