Voltage drop calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

OK I am going to be running 2-20 amp 110 volt circuits for a bath GFI and a washing machine the run is going to end up about 150' from panel I inputed these numbers in mike Holt's volt drop calc and get run a #6 does that sound right would anyone run that in a residence?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OK I am going to be running 2-20 amp 110 volt circuits for a bath GFI and a washing machine the run is going to end up about 150' from panel I inputed these numbers in mike Holt's volt drop calc and get run a #6 does that sound right would anyone run that in a residence?
Is it possible to run the #6 to a panel to eliminate one run and go from there.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'd opt for #8. It's a liitle over 3% at 20A, but there will likely not be a consistent 20A draw on the circuits. At 16A, the Vd is roughly 2.7%...

Power Tech

150' come on. Will that really make a difference in a washing machine or hair dryer.

I plug my drill into a 100' #12 cord plugged into another 50' #14 cord and it works fine.

I would bet money, you run #12 and it will be fine for 100 years.

150' come on. Will that really make a difference in a washing machine or hair dryer.

I plug my drill into a 100' #12 cord plugged into another 50' #14 cord and it works fine.

I would bet money, you run #12 and it will be fine for 100 years.

I kinda agree, whats the average amps on a washer? mine only pull about 10 amps. just remember that 'voltage drop' is only a FPN and is not a code requirement unless the UL listing requires a certain amount of voltage. I wonder how much would a transformer cost to just boost the voltage a little?? I haven't priced buck boost in a long time, versus using bigger wire of #6awg.
anybody have an idea??

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I kinda agree, whats the average amps on a washer? mine only pull about 10 amps. just remember that 'voltage drop' is only a FPN and is not a code requirement unless the UL listing requires a certain amount of voltage. I wonder how much would a transformer cost to just boost the voltage a little?? I haven't priced buck boost in a long time, versus using bigger wire of #6awg.
anybody have an idea??
The wire can be sized for the connected load, or in this case, the anticipated load. If the washer draws only 10A, #10 Cu would be sufficient at 2.7% Vd.

howardrichman

@ 10 amps ave. per circuit, 12gu 3 wire should be fine w/o any measurable va drop, unless either circuit takes off from that point to other peticular appliance loads.
HR

Smart $

Esteemed Member
@ 10 amps ave. per circuit, 12gu 3 wire should be fine w/o any measurable va drop, unless either circuit takes off from that point to other peticular appliance loads.
HR
In a 1? 3-wire circuit that has no guarantee the other branch is conducting simultaneously under most circumstances, it is not justified to use the balanced state of the mwbc in voltage drop considerations. One should consider voltage drop as if each were a 2-wire individual branch circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.