Ok To Bury Temporary Cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibew441dc

Wireguru is Correct!

Wireguru is Correct!

not always.....off the subject but 525 allows it at carnivals. I guess the thought there, is the cord is buried for a weekend not a year of heavy equipment driving over it.

ARTICLE 525
Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs,
and Similar Events

III. Wiring Methods
525.20 Wiring Methods.

(G) Protection. Flexible cords or cables accessible to the
public shall be arranged to minimize the tripping hazard
and shall be permitted to be covered with nonconductive
matting, provided that the matting does not constitute a
greater tripping hazard than the uncovered cables. It shall
be permitted to bury cables.
The requirements of 300.5
shall not apply.

I stand corrected, thank you wireguru. Now I am curious if there are any other areas in the NEC that would allow this.

Quote-IBEW441dc
It is always illegal to bury cord, even in a raceway.
(the statement I made was false)

:)Most of the time it is illegal to bury cord, except for applications such as those found at Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs, and Similar Events.:)

FbksCoE

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the responses! I saw responses that the cord needed to be suitable for the conditions of service. As others mentioned, doesn't 525.20 imply that cord is suitable for use underground at least in the short term? Also there were references to 400.7 and 400.8. 400.7 says cord is permissible where specifically permitted elsewhere, and this is under 590. In 590, cord can be used for feeders and branch circuits during the period of construction. Article 400.8 doesn't prohibit burying it. I'm really uncertain: is this application actually prohibited or just frowned upon? Gravel was a poor choice, I suppose I knew that, but would it be permissible to cross the road underground with a good sand bedding around the cord?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the responses! I saw responses that the cord needed to be suitable for the conditions of service. As others mentioned, doesn't 525.20 imply that cord is suitable for use underground at least in the short term? Also there were references to 400.7 and 400.8. 400.7 says cord is permissible where specifically permitted elsewhere, and this is under 590. In 590, cord can be used for feeders and branch circuits during the period of construction. Article 400.8 doesn't prohibit burying it. I'm really uncertain: is this application actually prohibited or just frowned upon? Gravel was a poor choice, I suppose I knew that, but would it be permissible to cross the road underground with a good sand bedding around the cord?

Cord can be buried where specifically permitted, such as in Article 525. Article 590 specifically states to follow other Articles unless Article 590 specifically modifies it. Article 590 is not Article 525. And your application is not referenced in Article 525.

I read your opening post in the thread, and cannot for the life of me understand why you would even consider cord for your application?????:confused:

iMuse97

Cord can be buried where specifically permitted, such as in Article 525. Article 590 specifically states to follow other Articles unless Article 590 specifically modifies it. Article 590 is not Article 525. And your application is not referenced in Article 525.

I read your opening post in the thread, and cannot for the life of me understand why you would even consider cord for your application?????:confused:

Because they already have that on hand, but would have to order tray cable or USE or UF, any of which would be suitable for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.