120/208 3 phase service

Status
Not open for further replies.

esc1234

This may be a question with an easy answer, but it is new to me and I need help. I am trying to establish a 120/208, 3 phase service for a shop that requires that power but the utility that is present is 120/240, 3 phase delta. How do I get the desired results? Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Delta to Wye transformer sized accordingly.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you only need the 3 phase 208 (and not the 208Y/120), you can accomplish that with a buck/boost transformer for less $$$.

iwire

Staff member
Here is an example but replace the 480 delta primary with a 240 delta primary.

rep1-3.gif

Rick Christopherson

I am trying to establish a 120/208, 3 phase service for a shop that requires that power but the utility that is present is 120/240, 3 phase delta.
I would first double check with the customer that this is truly what they want/need.

You didn't say what kind of shop, but to me, this generally implies a facility with small to medium 3-phase motors, which are typically rated for either 208 or 240, as opposed to motors that are rated exclusively for 208. But likewise, these shops typically also contain many single-phase 240 volt motors, and these are not real happy when they are only given 208 volts.

The 120/240, 3-phase system is generally the best alternative for small/medium shops, at it will satisfactorily power all of the 3-phase and single-phase loads.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am trying to establish a 120/208, 3 phase service for a shop that requires that power but the utility that is present is 120/240, 3 phase delta.
I've got to ask: How did a shop get built that requires a voltage other than what is available? :confused:

Most modern motors will work on either 208v or 240v. Check each load's nameplate to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.