Getting cold outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

My first year working in an area with snow. What are the best brands/types of boots to get to keep my feet warm?

ultramegabob

Whatever brand you choose, the most important thing is having insulation between the ground and the bottom of your feet, if you need safety toes, try to find something other than steel, steel toes are horrible in the cold, and the other important thing is to keep your feet dry, so either treat your boots with a wax (I use sno-seal) or wear rubber overshoes.

Last edited:

iMuse97

Five things:
--insulated boots (I've had wolverine, with thinsulate or equivalent insulation).
--get the boots big enough that you can wear a thick sock without your wedging your foot into the boot. (If there is no air pockets, you have lost your best insulating value already.)
--keep the rest of your body warm; layer upon layer with large size (for you) Carrhart type overalls and coat.
--oil the boots (or other mfg's recommended treatment) to minimize water penetration.
--keep moving.

I worked last winter on several days outside, no shelter or windbreak with severe windchill (20-30 mph) and a high of 5*F. I survived. :cool: That modicon tell me is says "cool." Actually I was cold.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't forget a good set of coveralls like carhart . The insulated pants are great.
If it's really cold the Carhart Artic gear is awsome.

Oh and keep those feet dry. If your feet swet then they'll get cold.

480sparky

Keep hydrated as well. Dress in layers.
coldsmiley.gif

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Years ago, I was told of a tip that really works. I was doing outdoor work with snow and ice all around. The ground itself was frozen solid. My feet got so cold by lunch, they hurt.

A carpenter on the job told me to put on thick, good-quality cotton socks, put a plastic bag over each foot, and then a pair of wool or other thick socks. Large shoes are a must.

I gotta admit, it works. By the end of the day, my feet and the inner socks were a little damp, but not even the slightest bit cold. I bough the carpenter lunch all that week.

iMuse97

I can see why that would work. Any sweat wouldn't wick out and the insulating socks can still do what they're designed for. I might be in the market for even bigger boots now. Thanks.

nakulak

be careful if you use the plastic bags on your feet. if you get caught in severe cold for a long time the sweat can refreeze on your feet and you could lose your feet.

ceb58

I can see why that would work. Any sweat wouldn't wick out and the insulating socks can still do what they're designed for. I might be in the market for even bigger boots now. Thanks.

And here is one that is strange but it works. Put on a pair of women's knee high hose then a good pair of socks. The hose will wick the moisture and keep the socks dry and you will not need 2 sizes bigger boots.

480sparky

Winter Attire
Wear loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing in several layers (the trapped air between the layers insulates). Layers can be removed to avoid perspiration and subsequent chill.
Wear outer garments that are tightly woven, water repellent, and hooded.
Wear a hat (half of body heat is lost through the top of the head).
Wear mittens that are snug at the wrist. Mittens offer better protection.
Gloves allow your fingers to cool much fast than mittens do.
Cover the mouth and nose with scarves to help protect lungs from cold air.
Attempt to keep your feet as dry as possible. Wear wool socks.
Frostbite
Frostbite is a severe reaction to cold exposure of the skin that can permanently damage fingers, toes, the nose, and ear lobes.
Symptoms are: numbness and a white or pale appearance to the skin.
Seek medical help immediately. Until help arrives warm the body slowly.
Warm the body core before the extremities.
Hypothermia
Hypothermia is brought on when the body temperature drops to less than 95 degrees.
Symptoms are: slow or slurred speech, incoherence, memory loss, disorientation, shivering, drowsiness, repeated stumbling, and exhaustion.
Seek medical help immediately. Until help arrives begin warming the body very slowly. Warm the body core first. Get the victim into warm, dry clothing, covering the head and the neck. As a last resort use your own body to warm the victim. Do not give alcohol, drugs, coffee or any hot beverage.
Warm broth is better. Do not warm the arms and legs first. This drives the cold blood toward the heart and can lead to heart failure.

I don't think that boot brand is that important. Unlike most other Red Wing fans, I tried a pair and found them to be overpriced for the product I got.

I currently on my 2nd pair of Rocky's- the last pair lasted me over 2 1/2 years. I buy the 8" high, Thinsulate, Gore Tex version. I typically buy insulated, but not super insulated boots so I can wear the same boot year 'round. As said earlier, when it gets real cold I break out the pack boots. They're not really desinged as work boots and don't take the abuse as well so I use them on the job sparingly.

Also mentioned before is good socks. The mantra in the outdoorsy community is "Cotton Kills" (the earlier layering trick notwithstanding). On moderately cold days cotton is fine, but if you know it is going to be cold than woolies are a must. I always keep an extra pair in the truck just in case things turn unexpectedly.

One last thing, your mother was right- Put a hat on! A good hat that covers your ears does wonders.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Years ago, I was told of a tip that really works. I was doing outdoor work with snow and ice all around. The ground itself was frozen solid. My feet got so cold by lunch, they hurt.

A carpenter on the job told me to put on thick, good-quality cotton socks, put a plastic bag over each foot, and then a pair of wool or other thick socks. Large shoes are a must.

I gotta admit, it works. By the end of the day, my feet and the inner socks were a little damp, but not even the slightest bit cold. I bough the carpenter lunch all that week.

Anti persperant will do just the same!
Plus you don't need two socks. Get a good winter sock at the outdoors supply, they might be expensive but they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.