New AFCI diagnostic tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I would be curious to see a demonstration of one of these new Siemens diagnostic tools connected with an Ideal 61-165 "tester/indicator" at the other end of the circuit :)

Would the new tool see the Ideal signature as a "true" arc condition or not ...

nakulak

A rep from Siemens was going to get one for me to show and use at the classroom. He was layed off last Friday, with a number of others, due to the highly reduced sales from the residential market in NJ, NY, and Connecticut.

call him up at home and tell him that's no excuse, what kind of a company man is he ?

wptski

I pulled the following form one of the PDF on it. Hmm, this sounds familiar!
>>>
Haven?t I seen AFCI testers on the market already?

Intelli-Arc is not a tester and does not ?test? an AFCI. There are a
number of devices marketed as ?AFCI Testers? on the market today.
Siemens recommends testing the AFCI by using the push to test
button only. AFCI technology constantly evolves to keep up with
changing technology in homes today. As a result an ?AFCI tester?
may not provide proper response in regards to AFCI function.
>>>

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I thought it was only a matter of time until the AFCI manufacturers would produce their own "diagnostics tools" since AFCIs are so complex and it was ridiculous to state that the only way to go was to push the test button.
I am a little skeptical of the value of this new unit based on the limited printed information available thus far. At least they are finally supplying some support to help diagnose issues. A step in the right direction.

76nemo

I thought it was only a matter of time until the AFCI manufacturers would produce their own "diagnostics tools" since AFCIs are so complex and it was ridiculous to state that the only way to go was to push the test button.
I am a little skeptical of the value of this new unit based on the limited printed information available thus far. At least they are finally supplying some support to help diagnose issues. A step in the right direction.

A step in the right direction indeed. Will UL EVER consider ONE unit to be an approved device??? I somewhat doubt we'll ever see it.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Here is another excerp from one of the pdfs on this new device:

"The Intelli-ArcTM Diagnostic Tool is intended to analyze house hold circuits to localize arc faults. It can indicate early warnings of
possible arcing before an AFCI breaker would trip. The Intelli-Arc Diagnostic Tool may show contributions from different loads that
each individually would not create a trip condition. However, the combination of these loads may create a situation that results in a
trip condition of an AFCI breaker"

Couldn't they just tell us outright what items- and in what combination - will cause the AFCI to false trip?

If we knew this we could build our own AFCI "indicator/tester" out of common household items.
Referred to as ... The MacGyver AFCI indicator :grin:

480sparky

Will do so...I would not hold your breath though;)

holding_breath.jpg

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Anyone got wind of the price range? Nothing shows up on google.

I like the ability to manipulate loads out in the house, presumably with the homeowner watching the readout on the handheld remote, to bring home the idea of what utilization equipment is causing the signals that the AFCI is reacting to.

I wonder how well this Siemens device will dovetail with the hardware solution, to the Combination AFCI requirements, created by the other manufacturers (Sq D & CH)?

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Isn't it interesting that they claim it will work on any AFCI, implying other manufacturers devices as well!

Yet these same manufacturers and UL claimed that each had their own unique software algorithms and methods for detection of an arc. They then further used this type of claim to downgrade AFCI testers such as the Ideal to a status as only indicators for those reasons. Pretty fishy ...

Hopefully it will prove to be a useful tool at a reasonable cost.

Riograndeelectric

Anyone got wind of the price range? Nothing shows up on google.

I like the ability to manipulate loads out in the house, presumably with the homeowner watching the readout on the handheld remote, to bring home the idea of what utilization equipment is causing the signals that the AFCI is reacting to.

I wonder how well this Siemens device will dovetail with the hardware solution, to the Combination AFCI requirements, created by the other manufacturers (Sq D & CH)?

hope some one will find out the price and psot it.
guess I could call my supplier too.

Status
Not open for further replies.