starter switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy

Can you use a one pole starter switch with one overload for a two pole motor or a 230 volt motor? This would protect one motor lead and is it that on single phase you only need to protect one motor lead?

tommy

You have a 230 volt motor that requires thermal protection do you protect both ungrounded conductors or one. I have done 120 volt single phase and three phase and I recall using a 3 pole starter switch for a two pole, but can you use a single pole starter switch for a two pole motor?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Can you use a one pole starter switch with one overload for a two pole motor or a 230 volt motor? This would protect one motor lead and is it that on single phase you only need to protect one motor lead?
You may do this, break one pole, for motor starting purposes only. Your required disconnecting means must open both line conductors.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
NEC article 430 (can't remember the exact paragraph) has required overload protection in all ungrounded legs ever since around 1978. The old 3 phase starters with only 2 overload devices have been illegal* since then.

*Illegal is, I know, not the appropraite word, but I use it in the context of a code violation for new installations of course. There are no "Overload Police"... yet.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
NEC article 430 (can't remember the exact paragraph) has required overload protection in all ungrounded legs ever since around 1978. The old 3 phase starters with only 2 overload devices have been illegal* since then.

*Illegal is, I know, not the appropraite word, but I use it in the context of a code violation for new installations of course. There are no "Overload Police"... yet.

A not so subtle reminder of my age. I installed bunches of 2 overload 3 phase starters in my life. 1978 ? really ? WOW!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
A not so subtle reminder of my age. I installed bunches of 2 overload 3 phase starters in my life. 1978 ? really ? WOW!
Me too. It sucks when you can remember things that are now considered history...

I was listening to a "Golden Oldies" radio station this weekend and enjoying the songs of the 60's I used to hear my older brother and sister playing. Then they played some 70's music and I at first thought "Wait, that's not "oldies", that's MY music!"

Then it hit me...

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

My oops.
I was thinking of toggle style manual motor starters, like Square D's 2510 FG2, which only have 1 thermal unit, but both poles open when 'tripped'.

benaround

Really, A couple of the young guys asked me, 'why were you using RMC underground in

that story' , because PVC was not in use yet !! Huh ??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I think it was about 10 years earlier. The main part of the plant that I normally work at was built in 65-66 and has starters with 2 overloads. They expanded in 70-71 and those starters have 3 overloads.
You could also run TWW conductors of any size in cable tray when they built the original buildings. They ran conduit from the field to the MCC room and then dropped into tray to get the the starters. By the time of the expansion, you had to use tray cable for the smaller conductors so they piped directly to the starters.

RUWired

benaround said:
One in EACH conductor
Jreaf said:

I'm reading 430.37, table 430.37, and 430.38 and each says that a sufficent number of conductors need to be opened by TOL's. Table 37 says for the OP (single phase 230) that only one in either ungrounded conductor is required. For 3-phase one in each is required. Where are you required to put one in each?

Rick

He was asking about a 2 wire system.

Just for gigles, would somebody explain to me why would you need overload in both legs for overload protection? Would an overload current flow anywhere else but through the 'other' conductor? Unless it is a short to ground, in which case we are not talking about overload protection.

tommy

That is what I was asking and also read one in either ungrounded conductor, it sort ta made sense being single phase. yea nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.