Dual Modular home services

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonman

Hello I'm trying to figure the best way to power 2 modular homes from a city power pole. They want 100A to each home on one meter. I was thinking A meter on the pole with 2" rigid 18" underground with URD direct bury to a 24"X24" 3r J-box Located on the first. tapping off that j-box with 2- 100A Disco one for each home and doing all the bonding there...and also going to pvc sleeve to under the home and running SER cable up to existing 100A panel. (one existing each). Any better ideas or code violations?....I looked up the SER and I may be misunderstanding it but SER under the frame kept close to frame work should be legal right?

canonman

Meter

Meter

The meter and pole will be 150' from the units. i had considered it so the trench wouldent need to be as deep. but unsure of the grounding at the pole and modulars plus cost of 4 wire ser versus 3 wire urd?

kbsparky

You can't bury SER, even if you "sleeve" it in conduit.

You won't be able to use 3-wire URD, either.

Once you set that service, you are bound to use a 4-wire feeder to either or both homes.

Why not use a meter/main on the pole, and then subfeed to your houses, from there?

canonman

I believe the city requires the meter be set on the power pole in this area. but if i go straight from the meter underground I can use 3 wire URD no? would I need grounds rod at the meter can?

lakee911

I am not sure that URD is recognized by the NEC. You can use USE though from meter to panel(s).

You mentioned a long distance. Why not ask for closer pole?

kbsparky

... if i go straight from the meter underground I can use 3 wire URD ....

As long as your "URD" is an assembly of USE cables.

You can use 3-wire only if you do not have a disconnect at the meter. You won't need any ground rods at the meter, either. But this is contingent on the city's requirements.

Once you reach the first disconnect after the meter, it is there you will need your first set of ground rods, and utilize 4-conductor subfeeds for subsequent panels. Additional buildings will require their own ground rods as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.