Recommendations for 'Glow Rods'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichimo23

Looking for a new set of 'Glow Rods' to replace the garbage set made by GB that I have now. The end caps from these rods pulled off the first time I used them. These rods also cracked/splintered after only minimal flexing. Got them as a gift (note to wives: let your husbands buy their own tools), so can't complain too much. I'm looking at sets from Klein, Ideal and BES. Any recommendations/experiences for rods that will last more than a couple of pulls would be appreciated.

USMC1302

I ran across an outfit called Labor Saving Devices many years ago, think they have a website. Don't know your particular application, but they had a variety of rods and gadgets that might be useful.

Article 90.1

I just bought another Greenlee 5/16" x 5' rod yesterday. I snapped the first one on the first snake, and then managed to get it stuck in the hole, because the lip on the metal ferule is too abrupt. Note: Wrap some tape where the ferules meet the fiberglass to create a tapered transition. Note: buy 2 sets and make sure the treads of each set are compatible. I like to fish with a birds nest made out of jet line on one stick, and use a hook on the second stick to retrieve the birds nest. The last school job I worked on, I was able to run LV cables over the block watt and bar joists to drop off all of our intercom feeds using a bunch of connected rods witch allowed me to only have to move the ladder two times. I also feel much more comfortable snaking from a panel into another space using the fiberglass rods, than I ever did using a steel fish tape. Let us know which brand you fall in love with, as I'm always looking for a better made tool, no matter what it is!

mcclary's electrical

I ran across an outfit called Labor Saving Devices many years ago, think they have a website. Don't know your particular application, but they had a variety of rods and gadgets that might be useful.

I've got about 20 on the truck, greenlee, klein, gb junk, and BY FAR THE LSD's are the best. (labor saving devices). The are pretty much indestructible. The "bullet" end is made to one of the sticks, so it doesn't unscrew like most others do. If you have an ADI near you, they carry them. They put all other sticks to shame.

CarlAshcraft

I vote for the Labor Saving Devices (LSD) glow rods! I have been using them for years, I have tried other glow rods that haven't lasted nearly as long and the quality aren't as good either. The LSD glow rods might be a little bit more money, but well worth the investment!

nhfire77

LSD Only

LSD Only

LABOR SAVING DEVICES.

Hands down best tools.

I once called to find the local dealer to pick up a part i lost in wall, they just sent it to me for free.

The other brands are fine, but if you want a complete product line with all the tricks and shortcuts to speed the install of wires.

Security101

LSD here too. My 1/8" sticks have lasted - oh - maybe 15 years and their longer than the others. I did originally have to super glue on one of the ends that loosened - but other than that great!

Thanks for the GB heads up, was thinking of getting one of the thicker (shorter) sets - maybe I'll wait...

Jim

I've got about 20 on the truck, greenlee, klein, gb junk, and BY FAR THE LSD's are the best. (labor saving devices). The are pretty much indestructible. The "bullet" end is made to one of the sticks, so it doesn't unscrew like most others do. If you have an ADI near you, they carry them. They put all other sticks to shame.

Do you know which if any of yours will fit (thread) into which. I.E. My greenlees (bought before GL had the glow option) won't fit the Ideals I bought when Ideal came out with the "glow". Not that the glow always that effective.

TwinCitySparky

I've had the same 1/8" LSD sticks for about 10 years. They are top quality and have have never splintered on me yet. I was also going to buy some of the Greenlee brand to back them up. Glad I didn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.