Equipment grounds in same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

Does equipment grounds need to be in same conduit as ungrounded conductors? Situation: 2- 1" PVC conduits 6-#10 (3-220V 1Ph Cir. Ea) and 1-2/3" 2-#10 (1-220V Cir)& 7 #12 Equipment Grounds conduits run about 100' and then all go into a 12X12 "J" box and then out to fans in flex grouped back together (2-#10 Ungrouned conductor & 1-#12 Equip Ground). Doesn't all wires for a circuit to be a same conduit? What is the code section?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
300.3 (B) is the location of "all conductors of the same circuit" you asked about, you are also allowed to run a single equipment ground for multiple circuits per 250.122(C).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See 300.3(B) and also 250.122 for the EGC size, the # 12 won't get it with the # 10 ungrounded conductors.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Sorry i did not give enough information the circuits are on 20 amp breakers, so the way I read it a # 12 Equipment ground is ok?

No, that does not make it ok. The EGC will have to be increased in size to match the ungrounded conductors reguardless of the reason the ungrounded conductors are oversized.

(B) Increased in Size Where ungrounded conductors are increased in size, equipment grounding conductors, where installed, shall be increased in size proportionately according to circular mil area of the ungrounded conductors.

and if applicable

(C) Multiple Circuits Where a single equipment grounding conductor is run with multiple circuits in the same raceway or cable, it shall be sized for the largest overcurrent device protecting conductors in the raceway or cable.

Roger

goindowner

If you upsize your conductors you must upsize your grounding conductors.250-122 B. A number 10 on an twenty amp breaker would require a number 10 grounding conductor.

Johnmcca

250.122 (b) doesn't mention multiple circuits. So if for any reason an ungrounded conductor is upsized in a multi circuit conduit you will still have to comply, and proportionatley increased the ground.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So you are all saying that if there were two #6's in there feeding a 60 amp circuit, that he would have to run a #6 ground? Even though per 250.122(A) he can use a #10 EGC per the table which is based on the rating of the overcurrent device and not the conductors.

Or are you simply giving him the answer to his question?

The EGC doesn't have to be the same size as the conductors it simply has to be incerased proportionately.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So you are all saying that if there were two #6's in there feeding a 60 amp circuit, that he would have to run a #6 ground?
No, that is not what we are saying

The EGC doesn't have to be the same size as the conductors it simply has to be incerased proportionately.

This is the problem with the article section, up to a 30 amp circuit, in order to be sized proportionately the EGC must be the same size as the ungrounded conductors

Roger

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
No, that is not what we are saying

This is the problem with the article section, up to a 30 amp circuit, in order to be sized proportionately the EGC must be the same size as the ungrounded conductors

Roger

Just checking.:)

And I was thinking the same thing.:) You sure think that section could be written better. Maybe instead of sizing it per the overcurrent device you could size it per the ungrounded conductors and then you could just match the grounding conductor to the wire size or have a table for both.

hurk27

Ive always wondered has there been an actuall 'test' done to prove it was necessary to actually increase the size of the egc. I mean , the current that it will actually see is what the overcurrent device will allow, regardless of how big the ungrounded conductors are.

Well if you like to read, here is a nice long discussion on the subject.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=117577

I myself feel at least some kind of table, to size EGC to ungrounded would be much closer then what is in effect now.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.