200A underground pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO if 2" PVC is large enough, then pulling those conductors in a straight run shouldn't be a problem.

jcrispy3

Is this a jacketed cable?

RUWired brings up a good concern. If it's something like an XLP jacket you're going to get a little more resistance than with a plastic insulation like THHN. But a little pulling compound and a good feed will do the trick. Plus it's AL so you're going to only be fighting the friction of the insulation on the conduit wall than the weight of the cable like with Cu.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
What is the best way to pull 4/0 4/0 2/0 AL cable 400' underground? Should I go to 2 1/2 pvc to ease the pulling? It is in a straight line.

You called it a 200 amp underground pull 400 feet long with 2- 4/0 & 1- 2/0 aluminum in PVC but you don't mention an equipment ground. Also have you considered voltage drop?
400 feet is a long pull if it is a 200 amp load you will have some voltage drop.
Also, is it triplex cable?

wawireguy

I wouldn't pull a woven cable assembly that far if that is what you were thinking of. Make sure you get seperate conductors. If you can afford to upsize conduit I definetly would. Lots of lube and a rope. Pull slowly or you'll burn through your 90's.

gndrod

Options?

Options?

What is the best way to pull 4/0 4/0 2/0 AL cable 400' underground? Should I go to 2 1/2 pvc to ease the pulling? It is in a straight line.
Hi Kevin,

Rural residential I presume. Depending on location, POCO will probably require 3" over lengths of 150' if they do the laterals. If this is a fairly straight conduit installation, pulling the cables through the trench sticks first and then sliding the sweeps on at both ends has worked.

A second approach, (providing acceptable to POCO) would be laying in direct burial over a trench sand bed with a 3" sand cover close-in. As qcroanoke mentioned, consider the line loss and necessary conductor size needed for reducing Vdrop. rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.