Smoke Detectors not required to be on arc faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

I had an inspection yesterday, and the inspector told me I did not have to have the smokes on an arc fault. It was a remodel job, and I added interconnected smokes.

Turns out in South Carolina you have the choice of placing the smokes on arc faults.

It was the first I had heard of it. He said Richland County was the one that got the change through for the state. The concern is the arc fault will trip and then there would be no smokes. Go figure.:cool:

c2500

Power Tech

I had an inspection yesterday, and the inspector told me I did not have to have the smokes on an arc fault. It was a remodel job, and I added interconnected smokes.

Turns out in South Carolina you have the choice of placing the smokes on arc faults.

It was the first I had heard of it. He said Richland County was the one that got the change through for the state. The concern is the arc fault will trip and then there would be no smokes. Go figure.:cool:

c2500

That is why I have always put the smoke on with the bedroom circuit so they are not on an isolated breaker. In addition, I install the AC with battery backup detectors.

c2500

A lot of the jurisdictions have codes for "renovation" work, etc...These codes relax some of the requirements in order to favor the renovation work. NJ has the Rehab code, NY has the Existing Building codes, and other jurisdictions has also adopted similar codes.

Power Tech

I specify that the smokes be on the light circuit.

RC

Agreed, there should be something else go off with them.

Ever since they came up with the AFCI codes I started wiring houses differently than I was accustomed to.

In commercial I keep the lighting and power separate. In houses, I run a dedicated circuit to each room required to be AFCI protected. Lights and everything in that room on one breaker.

I scab off one bedroom for the smoke.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ever since they came up with the AFCI codes I started wiring houses differently than I was accustomed to.

In commercial I keep the lighting and power separate. In houses, I run a dedicated circuit to each room required to be AFCI protected. Lights and everything in that room on one breaker.
That's funny, because I went the other way, wiring residential like commercial, with lights and receptacles on different circuits, mainly because of AFCI requirements.

I believe the system functions better. For example, no light flicker when you turn on a TV. I also like not having a total blackout in a room from a tripped breaker.

When they first showed up, it was just for receptacles, because the concern was (correctly, in my opinion) that plugged-in devices, notably extension cords and strips, were the main cause of arcing fires.

IBC requirement

IBC requirement

Chapter k12 (appendix) in the IBC 2006 reads as follows:

K1202.5 Smoke detector circuits. Smoke detectors required by the International Building Code and installed within dwelling units shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.

The IRC (International Residential Code) differs from the IBC slightly and does not have the same provision in the appendix. Many jurisdictions do not adopt the appendix anyways. That being said, the only compliant way I am aware of for installing smokes in bedrooms is to tie them to an AFCI circuit with lighting, presumably so it is incredibly obvious if the breaker trips.

laketime

That makes sense, although the house I wired I put the smokes on there own. Guess I can change that in the panel when I go back

360Youth

I specify that the smokes be on the light circuit.

RC

You require or your jurisdiction? I understand some like the smokes to be with another circuit so HO, etc. cannot just turn off a beeping detector, but I equally see, and wire such, that I don't want a smoke detector off because another circuit is being worked on. Anyway, I have never come across a jurisdiction that requires smokes to wired a certain way, but I have come across several inspectors that felt strongly one way or another, usually that they be wired with another circuit.

iwire

Staff member

I scab off one bedroom for the smoke.

That's funny, because I went the other way, wiring residential like commercial, with lights and receptacles on different circuits, mainly because of AFCI requirements.

I believe the system functions better. For example, no light flicker when you turn on a TV. I also like not having a total blackout in a room from a tripped breaker.

When they first showed up, it was just for receptacles, because the concern was (correctly, in my opinion) that plugged-in devices, notably extension cords and strips, were the main cause of arcing fires.

And I think you guys are putting way to much thought into it.:D

Just get'er done.:cool:

c2500

I fed some lighting off the circuit also. So it is not a lone smoke detector circuit. One county over, they will not allow you to have smokes on an arc fault protected circuit...no matter what else is shared on the circuit.

c2500

360Youth

I can't remember, do A/C with battery backup detectors make a sound if the power goes off?

I believe so. That is why the tab is on there for new installation with the instruction to pull out after power is turned on. Or maybe it is there to keep battery from draining. Who knows. :roll::)

Status
Not open for further replies.