Voltage Measurments in the Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

Equipment is located outdoors. Measuring instrument is a Fluke handheld DMM. Source is 240V single phase.

Is there a Code that prohibits performing voltage measurements if there is rain?

A little rain?

A lot of rain?

mcclary's electrical

If I schedue a service change and it starts raining, Dominion will not pull the meter, so they usually take the lock off and walk away, saying, call me when you're done. They won't pull a meter in the rain.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It also might be covered by common sense:roll:.

If you're wet and the grounds wet and the equipment is wet, it's a good chance that your meter and leads are wet. Good way to create your own short. Seen pics of it and that was only a wet meter.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
little more to the story, the guy kept his tools in a bucket, bucket in the back of his truck (not a hack), rained, water got in his Wiggy, didn't know it, went to check a breaker and the tester blew up in his hands and caused an arc flash. Six weeks after the incident he still wasn't back at work.

and I just reread you post.:grin:

ultramegabob

the guy kept his tools in a bucket, bucket in the back of his truck (not a hack), rained, water got in his Wiggy, didn't know it, went to check a breaker and the tester blew up in his hands and caused an arc flash. Six weeks after the incident he still wasn't back at work.

Hmmmmm..... that kind of makes me think of what is going on inside my meter when its sitting in the cold truck and I take it into a warm building over and over all winter long, I wonder how much condensation builds up, I know I have noticed fog inside my screen in the past...... something to think about:confused:

JacksonburgFarmer

yeah....any kind of work in the rain is not much fun....I have had a lot of it lately with all the rain we have gotten....and it being harvest time. Some things have to be done...All I can say is be extremly careful, and think before you do, then think about it again then do it:grin:

Natfuelbilll

Hi Guys -
Again, what I need is if there is a Code (OSHA, 70E, or other) that prohibits voltage testing in the inclement weather.

I know that there will be some of you who are adverse to risk, and others that may be more inclined to greater danger. I do not need your opinions on the issue. What I need To know is what is permitted, or restricted.

Thanks for your answers.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Wow, not enough for all of us to tell you not to do something stupid, you need a code section to back it up too?

Sounds to me like you're trying to get out of something, why not buy a copy of 70E or the OSHA book and look it up?

growler

Equipment is located outdoors. Measuring instrument is a Fluke handheld DMM. Source is 240V single phase.

Is there a Code that prohibits performing voltage measurements if there is rain?

A little rain?

A lot of rain?

I would start out with the definition of a qualified person:

Qualified person: One who has the skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of electrical equipment and installations and has recieved safety training to recognise and avoid the hazards involved.

There is probably nothing wrong with a qualified person checking voltage in the rain because a qualified person will know the safety precaution to take so as not to put himself/herself in danger.

I'm sure this would include a dry meter, some sort of cover to keep the rain out of the equipment and the proper protective equipment.

If a person is dumb enought to walk out there bare foot in six inches of mud with a wet meter when it's pourning down rain they are probably not qualified to be doing the work in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.