specifications for drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

I got a set of drawings to bid in a commercial job , this is my first time bidding a commercial new construction, while doing a take off ,the drawings call for some fixtures but it doesn't specify make or model ,for instance it says Awning lights or security wall pack 250 w MH , then 8' fluorescent fistures, also the lay-ins 2x4 doesn't say how many lamps 2,3,or 4.Anoher that realised was that I have 2 sub panels that the schedule says that they are 3 phase but the breaker for them are 2 pole breakers (single phase) , also thhe load calculation is wrong this is a 120/208 job and he is using 360va in the load calc.
what should I do in this case? should I ask the GC? or architec for more info or specifications? shoud I make my bid with fixtures of my preference?

benaround

wireperson,

There should be a sheet with the 'Fixture Shcedule' ( sp ) that lists all the info for the

fixtures in the 'E' sheets. Did they give you a full set of prints? I would call the GC 1st.

ohmhead

Well first iam not a estimator but as always i review the drawns when we start our new job to layout the electrical and help on the construction estimate .

We get a letter of intent to start work before this letter we review the 75% or 99% prints and plan our work look for errors we write RFIs send to the construction manager then they send to electrical engineer.

This will help you if there not shown ask the question up front make a phone call to engineer if you can.

Most jobs on start up your estimator can do this directly .

There normally is a page for the fixture schedule which we use to get type of fixture needed and read the specs which tell you what brand is accepted by the engineer its always 5 different types or brand names.

We look at every fixture panel switchboard feeder transformer buss duct ect ect and specs on what type is needed and pick out of 5 different brands put together a submital package and send it to the engineer for approval .

We also have our vendors look at the drawns and give us a price on each lets say fixture package or gear package then thats the one we use the lowest cost per specs and plans or drawns by eng acceptance of .

If anything is not shown we ask in a RFI and we also do value engineering which we tell them what we would like to submit to save cost on todays projects .

If your seeing 360 va thats a error on the drawns in printing ask to clarify on that ?

And call or ask in a rfi what type of fixture is needed ?

Last edited:

USMC1302

Make sure you have a full set of drawings AND any specification books that are part of the contract documents for the project. Check through them all, especially general conditions in addition to your Division 16 requirements. If not spelled out in the CD's, let the RFI's begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.