HEIGHT of an AC DISCONNECT pull out

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The best references I could think of would be 404.8 & 240.24 which provide for a 6 FT 7 maximum. (above floor or working platform), however 404.8 has an exception if the equipment is located above that height.

kacper

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible
and shall be installed so that the center of the grip
of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker,when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.)
above the floor or working platform,

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If this is the required means of disconnecting an HVAC component within sight of the equipment, then it is not an "overcurrent device." So 240.24 will not apply. Also, this is not a "switch," so 404.8 does not apply.

So I turn to 440.14. The disconnecting means must be "within sight from and readily accessible from" the A/C equipment. The definition of "within sight of" requires an item to be within 50 feet. The definition of "readily accessible" only requires that it be reachable without removing obstacles or using a portable ladder. So as long as the disconnecting means is no more than 50 feet up the wall, as as long as you can get to it without a ladder, you are good to go.

mcclary's electrical

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(A) Accessibility. Overcurrent devices shall be readily accessible
and shall be installed so that the center of the grip
of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker,when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.)
above the floor or working platform,

I think he means a pullout, not OCPD, so this does not apply. The disconnect can be anywhere from 1" off the ground, or 50 feet above unit(within sight), if accesible.

raider1

Staff member
I think he means a pullout, not OCPD, so this does not apply. The disconnect can be anywhere from 1" off the ground, or 50 feet above unit(within sight), if accesible.

Actually the disconnecting means is required to be readily accessible not just accessible.

Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

That means that you can't resort to using a ladder to reach the disconnecting means from the A/C unit location.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

non fuse, it is the $8 cheapy at HD. Location is directly above the unit and will meet 110.26 my biggest concern is if it being a pull out rather than a breaker if it changes anything. I can easily reach it as i am 6-0 but i try to make all my work to be to code so no problem if i ever sell it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The fact that it is not a breaker eliminates the 6 foot 7 inch requirement. If a person shorter than yourself can stand on the AC unit itself and reach the disconnect, I would say that even that would meet code. The AC unit would not be an "obstacle," and the person would not have to resort to a temporary ladder, so it passes as "readily accessible" in my book.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The fact that it is not a breaker eliminates the 6 foot 7 inch requirement. If a person shorter than yourself can stand on the AC unit itself and reach the disconnect, I would say that even that would meet code. The AC unit would not be an "obstacle," and the person would not have to resort to a temporary ladder, so it passes as "readily accessible" in my book.

charlieb, I stand corrected on my Code references and thank you for your knowlegable answer.

elohr46

I have to disagree, without seeing the actual unit it may be tall enough that a person would have to climb over it making it not "readily accessible" by definition, it could in itself be an obstacle.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
But if it is possible to stand on the unit, and if it is not necessary to climb over it, then it may still fit the definition of "readily accessible." Without a photo, it is not possible to say for certain.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
this is not a "switch,"
I have to agree with Bob on this Charlie.

A common AC disconnect pullout has the same contact making mechanism (a blade between one or two wiping contacts) as the ancient "knife switch".

In the application of the AC disconnect, the pullout is a simple Controller that, when operated, serves to govern, in a predetermined manner, the electric power delivered to the AC. That is, upon operation, the power is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.