Kitchen small appliance circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARF

Can anyone tell me whether a circuit for a kitchen waste disposer can also be used as one of the two small appliance circuits required in NEC 210.52(B) ?

ARF

Thanks Guys, I guess I'm just having trouble getting the difference between a small appliance outlet and any other piece of utilization equipment outlet.

construct

Thanks Guys, I guess I'm just having trouble getting the difference between a small appliance outlet and any other piece of utilization equipment outlet.

Small appliances like toasters, blenders, elec skillets, etc are not fixed in place. A food waste grinder would be fixed in place.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Although not a "complete" answer, note 210.52(B)(1) refers to receptacle outlets and not just outlets. It also refers to receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and 210.52(C). Your waste disposal might not be supplied thru a receptacle outlet and if it were that receptacle is not one covered by 210.52(A)or (C).
NEC is not the easiest document to decipher.

ARF

Sorry Guys, still not getting it. Where does it mention or exclude appliances that are fixed or held in place ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sorry Guys, still not getting it. Where does it mention or exclude appliances that are fixed or held in place ?
It doesn't do either, in that it doesn't talk about any actual appliances. The "small appliance circuit" might be badly named, but the general notion (as has been mentioned) is to make sure the owner has places to plug in the coffee pot, and the toaster, and the food warmer on the dining room table, and other such things. The actual requirement is that certain specific receptacles get their power from SA circuits, and that nothing else gets its power from the SA circuits.

Jljohnson

Speaking of the disposal only. Now that it is a cord appliance I can find no reason to turn you down.

But wait I will be challenged on this.

I'll go 1st on the challenge. 210.52b1 states that " the 2 or more samll appliance circuits required by 210.11c1 shall serve all wall and floor receptacles covered by 210.52a, all countertop outlets covered by 210.52c, and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment."

The waste disposal (even cord and plug connected to a wall receptacle in the cabinet) is not covered in 210.11c1, 21052a, or 21052c so may not be connected to the SABC's.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Jim on this one. The disposal can be plugged into a receptacle outlet, but that outlet cannot be powered by an SA circuit.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I'll go 1st on the challenge. 210.52b1 states that " the 2 or more samll appliance circuits required by 210.11c1 shall serve all wall and floor receptacles covered by 210.52a, all countertop outlets covered by 210.52c, and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment."

The waste disposal (even cord and plug connected to a wall receptacle in the cabinet) is not covered in 210.11c1, 21052a, or 21052c so may not be connected to the SABC's.

I can put one in a counter top 'garage' and be code compliant. Assuming all other spacing is ok.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I agree with Jim on this one. The disposal can be plugged into a receptacle outlet, but that outlet cannot be powered by an SA circuit.

Let us look at the handbook pp 99.

I can put the refrigerator on one circuit. Why couldn't I put the disposal on the other circuit. It is not a continuous load?

Status
Not open for further replies.