• is ALLOWED.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • is NOT ALLOWED.

Votes: 186 91.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Actually, I CAN understand why some electricians might think this was ok to do but in my area they would have to be about 75 years old at least ;) In houses around here built up to the 1950s or 1960s, lighting circuits were run from 4" round to 4" round, with switches dropped out of each 4" round box. It was pretty much a given that the load on the switch leg was never going to be larger than a two lamp fixture. A single 20A circuit would handle the lighting load of most of the house, and #14 for the switch legs (loops) would save money without creating a hazard (back then...). Nowadays in resi we wire the feed to the switch which makes it possible to fully load a lighting circuit on one switch so it would be very bad practice to feed a switch with #12 and then feed the lighting with #14. But if someone works in an area where running the feeds to the ceiling boxes is still done, they probably wouldn't see any danger in using a #14 switch leg.

This is the strangest explanation I have ever seen.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The "loop" is called a "switch leg" around here too. I recognize what PetrosA is saying in that the practice here, when "allowed" dates back many years ago when "switch legs" normally controlled a single ceiling luminarie, 60 to 180 watts.

PetrosA

We aim to please :) I still think an old-timer's argument as to the safety of it would be valid though. Could it be proven that it's any less safe (in this specific context) than a fixture-mounted pull chain switch with 18 or 16 AWG leads?

PetrosA, you are describing a "switch loop." A switch leg has a neutral, but only the CCC is switched.

This thread is the first time I've heard the loop term. I'm glad to have heard it, since there is a huge difference between the two that in this region goes unnamed.

Of course, they'd still be wrong.

I agree :)

iMuse97

...because you aren't anywhere near 75 years old??? :cool: be glad. :) BTW, I worked for a guy who was nearly half that age, and he still felt that 14 AWG would do for any switch leg. Got to the point where I ignored his wishes (on that).

Last edited:

iMuse97

What's wrong with running the feed to the light?

Nothing. Except if you're no-brain helper wires something incorrectly, you've got to remove the fixture to work on it.

I always do as little work as I can in the ceiling (in resi. work) because I'd rather stand in front of a 4 gang box to fix something than to remove a fan or chandelier and fix it.

And again, BTW, I can't believe this thread is still going. I voted weeks ago, it seems (and am on record with "not allowed").

e57

Nothing. Except if you're no-brain helper wires something incorrectly, you've got to remove the fixture to work on it.

I always do as little work as I can in the ceiling (in resi. work) because I'd rather stand in front of a 4 gang box to fix something than to remove a fan or chandelier and fix it.

And again, BTW, I can't believe this thread is still going. I voted weeks ago, it seems (and am on record with "not allowed").
I aggree - on all three counts...

Power Tech

This had been going for so long I think we're heading into a new election cycle. :cool:

Maybe this time I'll vote for the opposition. :)

There is no more opposition. They are all in cahoots.

Ever since I was a kid, people have been cheating to win.

The EC's using 14 for a SL are most likely cheaters.

Track the rest of there lives, they probably butt in line and brag about it.

It's either that or there is something is mentally wrong with them.

That would explain them being electricians.:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Track the rest of there lives, they probably butt in line and brag about it.

It's either that or there is something is mentally wrong with them.

That would explain them being electricians.:D
I resent that remark! :mad:

(I don't brag about it when I butt. :D)

(Plus, it could be mental anyway. ;))

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Oh not again, lord help us :grin:
I always love the "I've been doing it this way for XX years and never had a problem." It is right up there with "What if ".

Status
Not open for further replies.