Manhole grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjamps

Do you need to have a electrode in a manhole, I could not find it in the NEC where it states that you do, Electrical Enginner says that the manhole that we are installing needs one to bond anything metal, but cannot find anything that relates to that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
related article

related article

I'm not aware of any requirement, but it is one of many areas where I lack
knowledge. I replied as your post related to manhole hazards that were discussing in a recent Mike Holt Newsletter. To those who don't subscribe (and you should), this is an interesting article.
http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=787
Something to think about next time you step on a metal manhole.

ohmhead

Do you need to have a electrode in a manhole, I could not find it in the NEC where it states that you do, Electrical Enginner says that the manhole that we are installing needs one to bond anything metal, but cannot find anything that relates to that.

Well cant say i have seen it in the code book but on every job we do any manhole that we use a ladder access theres a ground rod installed in the bottom and grounded to the grounding plate imbedded inside the manhole .
And yes everything like cable racks or supports are attached to ground .

Any inground pull box for site lighting will need a ground rod and this attaches just to the metal light pole frame in the inground pull box.

Iam wondering if it is a code rule also ?

Also when we run a bare ground on top of duct banks into that MH that attaches to ground rod its for a lighting strike .

They show this on the detail plans on just about every job ?

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A ground rod in a manhole will serve no real purpose if the circuits are not medium voltage or high voltage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Any inground pull box for site lighting will need a ground rod and this attaches just to the metal light pole frame in the inground pull box.

Iam wondering if it is a code rule also ?
There is no code reason to install a grounding electrode at a light pole unless the pole is served by a feeder. Some specs require this electrode, but the code does not. The most important connection would be the EGC to pole connection for electrical safety purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.