Broan, Nutone or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RH1

get away from the noisy 70 cfm fans which are junk and get a real low son fan and she will be happy with the fan. put noisy 70 cfm in place and no brand will make her happy.

I love it that fan manufacturers use the "Sone" as their measure of loudness, and not decibels. The Sone is an imaginary measure of "perceived loudness" or "psychological loudness". The Sone never caught on among real scientists and faded into obscurity 40 years ago until Nutone dragged the term out of the scientific garbage pail. What is 100 Sones to you may be 150 Sones to me.

Why aren't fire alarms measured in Sones? Sones are to science as phrenology is to medicine.

A Sone is a marketing term, not a scientific one. :)

cschmid

never said it was scientific rating for decibels DB's , just the rating used for fans. regardless on how you measure it the 70 cfm is defienetly louder then most all bathrom fans regardless of the rating..

bradleyelectric

I had a problem with Panasonic fans in a commercial bathrooms once. Building inspector failed the bathrooms because fans weren't working. We had to put a paper towel up to it to prove to him they were operating. He couldn't hear them so he thought they weren't operating.

danickstr

Panasonic now makes a "green" line of fans that have a variable speed, and full speed. I think it requires two switches. It is confusing, but I wanted to tell you about it in case she wants one wiht a speed you can adjust (DC motor I think)

Sparky555

The last time I installed two Broan ultra-silent fans one of them was noticeably louder than the other. I've been installing Panasonic since then. I had one complaint "That's so quiet I'm going to leave it running". I can live with complaints like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.