2 clamps on first ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note, I know this Thread is very old, but I am a new member.

I work in New York State. And I ran into connecting the ground rods
to the Service Panel, that was above and beyond what the previous
posts have shown.

I was require to do a ground rod loop. What this you ask.

Would you be willing to say where the jurisdiction is that you are discussing in this post?

njatc

Usually you don't ground the meter with the equiptment grounding conductor.You ground the first disconnect, and use 2 ground rods.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Usually you don't ground the meter with the equiptment grounding conductor.You ground the first disconnect, and use 2 ground rods.

I think you meant Grounding Electrode Conductor.

Landing the GEC in the meter can seems to be a geographical thing, in the Southeast the meter enclosure is the norm and IMO makes the most sense.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why did you do it?
I don't know why I didn't see this before.

Actually, what I did was run a single conductor from rod to disco to disco to rod. The wire was all inside except for the foot or so at each end. The grading hadn't been done.

I bent the wire into a U for insertion in each disco's lug so it's unbroken, and each disco sees both rods. The inspector thought about it for a few minutes before he passed it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually, what I did was run a single conductor from rod to disco to disco to rod. The wire was all inside except for the foot or so at each end. The grading hadn't been done.

I bent the wire into a U for insertion in each disco's lug so it's unbroken, and each disco sees both rods. The inspector thought about it for a few minutes before he passed it.

So now there is a GEC loop in parallel with the neutrals of the two disconnects. I know this is allowed and is even shown in the Soares book but it doesn't make any sense to do it, the service neutral only needs to be earthed once.

groundrodloop.jpg

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So now there is a GEC loop in parallel with the neutrals of the two disconnects. I know this is allowed and is even shown in the Soares book but it doesn't make any sense to do it, the service neutral only needs to be earthed once.
We're not allowed to land the GEC in the meter :)mad:), so it has to be in the discos. How would you bond two discos?

Doesn't each one have to have an electrode connection? Isn't the GEC-and-neutral parallel connection unavoidable?

Volta

We're not allowed to land the GEC in the meter :)mad:), so it has to be in the discos. How would you bond two discos?

Doesn't each one have to have an electrode connection? Isn't the GEC-and-neutral parallel connection unavoidable?

Often unavoidable. If we imagine Roger's diagram with load side wireway junctions in place of the GEC's, then with the EGC's are connected to the trough . . .

But for the GEC you could connect to the "load end of the service drop" (250.42(A)(1) if overhead, if you wanted to avoid the parallel neutral connection and aren't allowed to use the meter base.

guschash

Good thread. Last the week the inspector had me add a second rod. So I gave my helper a rod and 6 feet of wire and two clamps. When I was at the job today I notice he only used one clamp at the first rod. Is this ok or should make him go back and seperate the ground wires and use both clamps.

gus

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When I was at the job today I notice he only used one clamp at the first rod. Is this ok or should make him go back and seperate the ground wires and use both clamps.

gus

It is fine the way he did it.

Roger

guschash

I will have change it tomorrow. I didn't think it was right, but I didn't think to tell him the A-corn clamp was rated for only one wire.

gus

Status
Not open for further replies.