emt as a grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsy

the code states emt shall be permitted as a equipment grounding conductor. ive just heard this and read this. does anything alter this and does anyone do this? and can inspectors fail this?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

iMuse97

the code states emt shall be permitted as a equipment grounding conductor. ive just heard this and read this. does anything alter this and does anyone do this? and can inspectors fail this?

In the Chicagoland region, EMT (or IMC or RMC) is the grounding conductor in many situations, unless job specs. or other requirements (healthcare facilities, pools, etc.) alter it. Not much romex or MC in this area.

patsy

hey thanx ive just looked in 517 couldnt c it and thats for health care facilities out of the years ive been doing electrical work ive never not pulled a ground wire through the emt and a job i just got im going over what the other electrician did and he did not pull a ground wire so i did. i just feel its better to have the ground than not.

patsy

ok my question is what happens if something down th rode happens to the pipe u could loose the ground? and sorry for asking but why is it a better ground and do you use regular emt fittings or special ones, really curious on this cause ive never come across it

mcclary's electrical

ok my question is what happens if something down th rode happens to the pipe u could loose the ground? and sorry for asking but why is it a better ground and do you use regular emt fittings or special ones, really curious on this cause ive never come across it

If something happens to your wire down the road,,,you could lose your ground. Right? so the same applies to both situations. A properly sized EMT EGC will always be superior to a properly sized WIRE EGC, due to a lower impedence to ground.

patsy

ok i get that but im talking about running emt for lights and outlets and u dnt run an ground wire, and how would u properly size emt as an egc?

patsy

hey cpal i just read it and ive got to say ive never heard that about using the emt as the ground i just dnt no how my area inspectors would feel about it ilike to thank u all for the info uve given me?

M. D.

... RSC, IMC and EMT are all permitted as an equipment grounding conductor in accordance with NEC? 250.118. It is permitted to add a supplementary equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with NEC? 250.122. This is a systems design consideration. If a supplementary equipment grounding conductor is used, it is still very important to comply with NEC? 300.10 and 300.12, since approximately 90% to 95% of the current will flow on the conduit and not in a supplementary conductor. For information on the equipment grounding capabilities of RSC, IMC and EMT, click here for a link to the section with the results of a research study performed by the Georgia Institute of Technology.

found here..

http://www.steelconduit.org/

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
hey cpal i just read it and ive got to say ive never heard that about using the emt as the ground i just dnt no how my area inspectors would feel about it ilike to thank u all for the info uve given me?

Inspectors in NJ are required to follow the NEC which allows a metallic raceway to be used as an EGC. This is a black and white area. Their opinion on what's better is irrelevant, they must allow it. :)

mcclary's electrical

Don't be one of those people that does whatever the inspector says. That's why their head gets so big. Know you're3 right in everything you do. Demand code references if he turns it down. He won't be able to give one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't ever remember a time when it couldn't be used, outside of specs calling for an EGC anyway, and I've been wiring for a long time.

pitkas

In Anchorage local code says we have to pull a EGC in every conduit. I believe it is a good idea because of loose fittings and other factors that cause conduit to seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.