Running conduit on top of a concrete floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Customer doesn't want to jack hammer the concrete. So I was wondering whats some other options you guys know of? I was thinking some kind of ramp that goes over it?

Installing a conduit on the surface of concrete is not a violation. The installation does have some parameters to think of.
Such as:

Is it subject to physical damage? If so, use a raceway method suitable for physical damage.

Is it a tripping hazard...something that may be covered by the building code.

e57

RMC - use powder actuated straps - install a new threshold - then pump in a yard or two of gyb-crete - then tile the floor in the wackiest tile colors and patterns from the remnant pile at any flooring supply.... :roll: Hey it works at my house...

ultramegabob

how about going to a metal fab shop and having a piece of diamond plate shaped with a brake to make a step or a ramp to cover the conduit and paint it yellow?

benaround

Customer doesn't want to jack hammer the concrete. So I was wondering whats some other options you guys know of? I was thinking some kind of ramp that goes over it?

Go up and over, then down. IMO, piping on the floor is a bad idea no matter how you

cover it.

ultramegabob

Go up and over, then down. IMO, piping on the floor is a bad idea no matter how you

cover it.

Although across the floor is less that optimum for running power,I have worked in places that going up over and down just isnt a practical, without seeing thier specific application I am just trying to come up with suggestions for the way they want to run the conduit. In my opinion, if you cannot go overhead, it would be best to cut the floor, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO, there is nothing wrong with laying conduit on the floor as long as it does not become a tripping hazard or get run over by forklift trucks.

There are ways to protect against both hazards to people from this method and hazards to the pipe itself.

benaround

That is a personal opinion. Which I believe most here will agree with. Yet, it is a permitted installation to install the proper raceway on the surface.

Pierre,

The OP asked for opinions and other ideas ? The truth of the matter is sooner or later

someone is going to get hurt on account of it.

Frank
Think of all the times you have been in a space where there are plumbing pipes, drains, etc....

There are times it may not be an issue and there are times when it may be an issue. That is when the design of the job becomes an issue, not the code.

I am not saying I advocate the pipe/conduit on the floor. There are times when it may not be possible to provide different locations.

e57

Pierre,

The OP asked for opinions and other ideas ? The truth of the matter is sooner or later

someone is going to get hurt on account of it.
Not if you pour a new floor on it... ;) If you follow some low area of the floor - (provided it is not to a drain...) then have someone hit it with self-leveling concrete... No one to get hurt then.

I did this on a resuraunt kit island, ~30" - all but a few inches of the path were in a low area of the floor that got filled with gyb-crete. For the area that wasn't - cut a notch in the slab - then filled the notch back in with epoxy. Once it was re-painted you couldn't tell...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That is when the design of the job becomes an issue, not the code.

I am not saying I advocate the pipe/conduit on the floor. There are times when it may not be possible to provide different locations.

I agree.

Regarding the OP, what size conduit are we talking about? For a small conduit a shallow slot can be cut in the floor and patched over rather easily.

mcclary's electrical

That is a personal opinion. Which I believe most here will agree with. Yet, it is a permitted installation to install the proper raceway on the surface.

It might be a permitted install,,,but I agree that it's still a bad idea. How are they gonna sweep araound it? If you put it on strut, rather than flat,at least the floor can be cleaned, but I would still run it up, over and back down.

iwire

Staff member
I find it kind of funny that we are making suggestions on how to do it without having seen the layout.:)

One of the places we work for is a type of metal fab shop, they always have us relocating equipment and it's RMC across the floor.

Up and over would be tough, 30' deck height and a ganty crane that travels over the entire area.

roy g

roy g

roy g

what type of area is this running in. If a resturant or simular area, health department issues may be involved such as collection of dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.