Over heated motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmonroe

I have an issue with a 3 PH 10HP 2 pole electric motor. With no load on this motor it is drawing close to maximum amps (13 to 15 amps). The application is a multiple stage water pump. I completely moved the motor from the pump and still drawing close to maximum current rating. The motor gets very hot to where you cannot touch the frame.

I always thought motor with no load draw about 35% of motor name plate rating?

Thank in advance for you input?

rmonroe

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The 'no-load' current that a motor will draw depends upon the magnetic design of the motor, and can be quite a bit larger than 35% of full load.

Motors are often designed to operate at temperatures that are too hot to touch.

So the first question: what does the manufacturer _say_ the motor is supposed to be doing? They should be able to provide specs for no load current, for example.

The next question: do you have the voltages correct?

When you measured the current draw, did you check all three phases and were they balanced?

Is this a dual voltage motor? If so, have you checked the terminal connections? A motor will run with a single phase inverted, but with lots of extra heating.

-Jon

rmonroe

I check all three leg's and all is balanced current draw. It is a dual voltage motor and it is setup for 480VAC. All connections are good, and it is a Germany motor made for export.

Thanks for your input.

I will try to contact the motor manufacture.

buldogg

I have an issue with a 3 PH 10HP 2 pole electric motor. With no load on this motor it is drawing close to maximum amps (13 to 15 amps). The application is a multiple stage water pump. I completely moved the motor from the pump and still drawing close to maximum current rating. The motor gets very hot to where you cannot touch the frame.

I always thought motor with no load draw about 35% of motor name plate rating?

Thank in advance for you input?

rmonroe

Is the cooling fan working properly? Could be bearings going out on the motor also. Does the motor vibrate when running?

Status
Not open for further replies.