US chamber of commerce

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

30% for me would be great. how long have you been a member.

do you think the networking pays offand provides more avenues to expand?

We joined in 82 they don't operate like the networks you see today, they are active in all community activities, and help promote bussiness.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The biggest advantage to being a member of your local chamber of commerce is "schmoozing" with other members. You have to let them and the other members in the community know you exist. I've been a member for about 6 years now and on the board of directors for 3. I'm also the webmaster for the chamber's website and one of the newsletter editors.

There are 5 other electrical contractors that are members but I'm the only one going to meetings. Why ? Some of the chamber members include 14 GC's, 5 plumbers and 8 real estate agents to cite a few. I'm not saying I get all their work but the amount of work that I do get and the referrals are priceless. It's hard to put a price tag on the actual work but I'd rather have the work than not.

Networking with subcontractors who are not your competitors can get you as much business as hanging out with the GCs. For strictly local knowledge the concrete reps are very hard to beat.

In my case I belong to the Professional Construction Estimator Association (PCEA), which covers the Southeast US. In your area it would be American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE).

Status
Not open for further replies.