pool pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator07

If a customer has installed a above ground pool and placed all his equipment pool pumps,transformer,etc inside a plactic storage bin within approx. 2.5 feet of pool, should i try to move it all back or just hard wire everything and gfi. working under 2008. thanks

ivsenroute

It has to be GFCI protected no matter what.

If it has a locking plug then you have to be at least 6' away.

If it is not a locking plug then the plug has to be at least 10' away.

Get out your UL white book and see what the motor for the pump is rated for. Check with the manufacturer because many will tell you the motor has to be 10' away from the pool.

If you want to hard wire it then the pump has to be labeled for field wiring.

It has to be GFCI protected no matter what.

Get out your UL white book and see what the motor for the pump is rated for. Check with the manufacturer because many will tell you the motor has to be 10' away from the pool.

If you want to hard wire it then the pump has to be labeled for field wiring.

I have seen the same requirement on some pool pump labels, but not all.

electricmanscott

So it's only pumps without a twistlock then that are intended to be 10 feet from the pool? That's kind of an important detail.

With a locking plug UL says five feet.

This is how "electrical myths" are born.

Here's the complete info.

Units provided with locking-type attachment plugs are intended to be installed at least 5 ft from the inside walls of the pool and are marked accordingly. Units provided with a nonlocking-type attachment plug are intended to be installed at least 10 ft from the inside walls of the pool and are marked accordingly

If I were the Op I'd install the receptacle where it can legally go and let the owner move the equipment as needed.

Last edited:

ivsenroute

So it's only pumps without a twistlock then that are intended to be 10 feet from the pool? That's kind of an important detail.

With a locking plug UL says five feet.

This is how "electrical myths" are born.

Here's the complete info.

If I were the Op I'd install the receptacle where it can legally go and let the owner move the equipment as needed.

Yep, do a legal install and have the owner move their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.