300.15 2008 code

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I think the use of the word "Fitting" in this section is wrong, as it doesn't line up with the definition in 100,

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ? Where Required.

to me 300.15(F) is describing a condulet body or something big enough that would permit a possible splice, other wise the wording just doesn't make sense, a 90? fitting would never have enough room to ever think of making a splice in it?:confused:

And if was put in here for FMC, 348.42 (2002) already covers this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's an example of a fitting that would meet the usage described in 310.15(F). The inspector is incorrect in applying this section for a 90 degree fitting into a concealed box.

B_Combination_Couplings.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Total guess here, but maybe the inspector is confusing the requirements for FMC with the requirements for MC.

348.42 prohibits the use of concealed 90 degree connectors with FMC.

There is no such prohibition with MC.

jwelectric

Total guess here, but maybe the inspector is confusing the requirements for FMC with the requirements for MC.

348.42 prohibits the use of concealed 90 degree connectors with FMC.

There is no such prohibition with MC.

There is a big difference between a "fitting" and a "connector" as Bob has pointed out. The device used to connect the MC to the box is not a fitting but a connector.

jwelectric

Mike IMO a connector is just a specific type of fitting.

Yes you are right. For some reason or the other my mind went to one of these

Tycofitting.jpg

I suppose it must have been the time of morning that caused this laspe in mental ability :grin: as though I don't jump off the deep end once in a while.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes you are right. For some reason or the other my mind went to one of these

Tycofitting.jpg

I suppose it must have been the time of morning that caused this laspe in mental ability :grin: as though I don't jump off the deep end once in a while.
Those are definitely not permitted inside angle connectors. ;)

e57

300.15 (F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall be accessible after installation.

So what is the problem with a MC 90 degree fitting into a box? You are using the correct fitting, aren't you?
MC cable - not a re-pullable flex run? Not splicing or terminating? OK then....

Look closely - "Concrete tight when tapped" - Conceal it? - You can even pour it... (If you use the right DB/CE jacketed MC...)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Mike IMO a connector is just a specific type of fitting.
I agree... yet 300.15's general requirement seems to differentiate them: "Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific
wiring methods for which they are designed and listed."

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think the use of the word "Fitting" in this section is wrong, as it doesn't line up with the definition in 100,

to me 300.15(F) is describing a condulet body or something big enough that would permit a possible splice, other wise the wording just doesn't make sense, a 90? fitting would never have enough room to ever think of making a splice in it?:confused:

And if was put in here for FMC, 348.42 (2002) already covers this.
Fitting in this context is one used in lieu of a box or conduit body.

In the OP situation, the fitting (aka connector) is not being used in lieu of a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.