URD cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
True URD cable isn't a recognized NEC insulated conductor and should be used only by POCOs. I believe there are products that carry the dual rating of URD/USE. These are acceptable NEC wiring methods but per 338.12 must terminate on the exterior of the building (usually at a meter socket or j box)

benaround

This cable can be directly burried but can't be run inside. So......How would it attach to an electrical panel inside the home :-?

You can run it to the meter socket underground, from meter socket to inside the house

you need to change to a compliant method.

Hendrix

You can run it to the meter socket underground, from meter socket to inside the house

you need to change to a compliant method.
That's what I was thinking. I have a EC who came out of a manufactured home's disconnect, under ground and into the sub panel inside the home. I didn't think that it was compliant.

lakee911

I've seen it just enter the building for termination at the panel, but it's technically not allowed.

I was told by a local code official to put a JB on the outside of the bldg. to transition if I wanted to use it.

cpal

Just be sure to take a good look at the cable as many of them have multiple markings. URD/USE is possible, although that doesn't help you with interior wiring, as is USE/RHW which would be acceptable.
http://www.southwire.com/products/RHHRHWUSEOEM.htm

If I recall correctly it was permissable to enter the structure( limited length ) to terminate with USE (no other 310.13 designators) in 99, and 05, I don't think the 2011 will reestablish that permissive language.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That's what I was thinking. I have a EC who came out of a manufactured home's disconnect, under ground and into the sub panel inside the home. I didn't think that it was compliant.

He needs to start buying the URD/USE/RHW/RHW-2 stuff. Fortunately that's the type they carry around here.

wireguru

anyone who has ever seen URD/USE on fire wouldnt want an inch of it in their house...the insulation on that cable burns like a fuse. A smelly, melty, smoky fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.