Chart on human threshold of shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember seeing it here somewhere, now I cant find it. Does anyone know where I can find the chart that showed the 'shock' threshold for people. it listed the 'let go' stage' and heart attack ' stage.

Also it showed the threshold of voltage as well as the milliamps. Hope Im makeing sense. Thanks.

gndrod

I remember seeing it here somewhere, now I cant find it. Does anyone know where I can find the chart that showed the 'shock' threshold for people. it listed the 'let go' stage' and heart attack ' stage.

Also it showed the threshold of voltage as well as the milliamps. Hope Im makeing sense. Thanks.

Check out Charles Dalzeil's electric shock experiments chart at www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/shock.html

iwire

Staff member
From the link gndrod provided.

01703x01.png

templdl

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/shock.html

This one contains an old chart that many may recognize: http://pchem.scs.uiuc.edu/pchemlab/electric.htm

Remember that there are (2) variables, voltage and resistance. Quite often voltage is constant given a certain situation but resistance can vary widely as there are many factors that affect resistance.
Then it's good old ohms law that takes over, I= E/R With voltage constant raise the resistance and current goes down, current goes up when the resistance is decreased. Raise the voltage with a given resistance current goes up and down with lower voltage.
Then what path the current takes through the body.

Essentially you don't want to mess which getting an shock because the result are uncertain, anything for OH BOY I shouldn?t have done that, shocked on your butt or knocked off of a ladder where you get injured in the fall, burned, or.......

zog

I knew men were tougher than women! :)

Just kidding. Why are the numbers not equal?

It is based on an average body weight. Which will change body resistance. The men is based on 135 lbs if I recall (Average body weight of male electrician in like 1940 or something, closer to 235 these days :) )

mivey

It is based on an average body weight. Which will change body resistance. The men is based on 135 lbs if I recall (Average body weight of male electrician in like 1940 or something, closer to 235 these days :) )
Not entirely true. It is generally true that the bigger you are, the more the current is dispered through your body because there is more mass.

But weight alone doesn't get it. It is also based on the body's composition of fat and muscle tissue. A higher percentage of muscle equals a lower relative amount of current.

Other factors will be skin thickness and moisture.

zog

Not entirely true. It is generally true that the bigger you are, the more the current is dispered through your body because there is more mass.

But weight alone doesn't get it. It is also based on the body's composition of fat and muscle tissue. A higher percentage of muscle equals a lower relative amount of current.

Other factors will be skin thickness and moisture.

Agree 100%, diet, mineral content of your blood, hydration level, the list goes on and on. But the question was why are the men and women levels different and the correct answer is that the assumptions for the weights were diferent, this is explained in either IEEE 80 or IEC 479, can't remmember at this moment which one it comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.