What amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler

I have not found a clear answer to a question I have in Article 210 of the NEC. I can see where (residential) bathroom must have a 20amp plug, 2ea 20amp circuits for countertop plugs in the kitchen, 20amp plug for the utility. I don't see what is required for the garage, kitchen refrigerator, or outdoor circuits. Anyone know a code reference that specifies minimum requirements for the garage, kitchen refrigerator, and outdoor plugs?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There aren't any. Well, perhaps the fridge. I recall (no code book handy at present) that it has to be on one of the small appliance 20 amp circuits, unless it is a dedicated outlet. Otherwise, the others can be on 15s or 20s, as you wish.

Welcome to the forum.

e57

I have not found a clear answer to a question I have in Article 210 of the NEC. I can see where (residential) bathroom must have a 20amp plug, 2ea 20amp circuits for countertop plugs in the kitchen, 20amp plug for the utility. I don't see what is required for the garage, kitchen refrigerator, or outdoor circuits. Anyone know a code reference that specifies minimum requirements for the garage, kitchen refrigerator, and outdoor plugs?
Hmmm... Got a test coming up? :D

Part I of 210 tells you how many circuits are required....
Part III of 210 tells you how many outlets and where in many locations some applicable to dwellings and some applicable to other places.... That said - no circuit should ever be over-loaded, so one would also have to take care of the connected load....

Nium

Kitchen refrigerator

Kitchen refrigerator

NEC 2008, 210.52(B)(1) as stated before Exception No. 1 ...",and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment"

Exception No. 2 states the refrigerator may be run off an individual 15A or greater circuit, if you want.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If there are no details, the minimum number of circuits to a dwelling is how many?

This has been a test question for awhile.

Anyone care to take a stab at this question.
Hint - the answer is in the NEC. ;):D
Without any details on a dwelling unit, at least 4 circuits are required by 210.11(C): two 20A small appliance, one 20A laundry, and one 20A bathroom.

S'mise

Without any details on a dwelling unit, at least 4 circuits are required by 210.11(C): two 20A small appliance, one 20A laundry, and one 20A bathroom.

I say 4 also,... But; Two 20A sabc, one 20A bathroom and 1 lighting ckt for living area. You dont have a laundry room:confused:

BTW, A refrigerator is a rather big small appliance don't you think?

e57

2ea. SA
1 Laundry (If applicable)
1 Bath
1 GP recept and lighting circuit.

5 is the dead NEC min. and an unhappy consumer.

The real min. is no call-backs or court fees... ;)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I say 4 also,... But; Two 20A sabc, one 20A bathroom and 1 lighting ckt for living area.
Granted you will likely need at least one general lighting circuit, but that is based on square footage or connected load, whichever is greater. Those, my friend, are details... and Pierre said with no details :D

You dont have a laundry room:confused:
Doesn't matter whether you have a laundry [room or area] or not... the circuit for such is required.

mivey

Depends. What's the smallest house one may build legally?
I had an uncle that built a house that was about 600-800 sq ft. One long room had a bed on one end, the kitchen on the other, and a small open area in the middle with a desk and couch. The bathroom & laundry/closet were in a separate room.

He over-insulated the thing and heated it with a lamp sitting in the middle of the floor. He had a 1600 sq ft house next door that he used for a shop. He lived alone and felt the big house was wasted as a living area.

Yes, he is a little different.

Status
Not open for further replies.