Fault Current Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to use the calculator Point-to-Point Method by John Sokolik available on Mike's formulas page. It asks for length in feet. Is that the distance from the transformer to the service (I think so) or from the tap to the service? The transformer is located a pole away from the site so it's about 125 feet overhead from the transformer to the handhole and another 60 feet underground from the handhole to the meter.

bob

I'd like to use the calculator Point-to-Point Method by John Sokolik available on Mike's formulas page. It asks for length in feet. Is that the distance from the transformer to the service (I think so) or from the tap to the service? The transformer is located a pole away from the site so it's about 125 feet overhead from the transformer to the handhole and another 60 feet underground from the handhole to the meter.

It is the distance from the source to the meter. You may have to enter more than one distance if you have different wire sizes.

Thanks for your help. FWIW, the service feeder is all utility wire, from transformer to the house. I'm sure that the overhead distribution on the poles is a different size that the tap to the house, but getting that info could be a project all by itself.

bob

Thanks for your help. FWIW, the service feeder is all utility wire, from transformer to the house. I'm sure that the overhead distribution on the poles is a different size that the tap to the house, but getting that info could be a project all by itself.

I know what your mean. Can you tell if the secondary is copper or AL, open wire in racks or a cable? We may can get Charlie to help with the numbers. I looked at the program. I do not use that method although I am familiar with it.

I think I can take it from here. Actually, I was joking about it being such a project to get the info since the guy I'm doing the job for works for the power company (FP&L). But if I have any problems, I'll post again. And thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.