Dryer Load Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Is this not a load calculation question? Would the text in 220.54 not apply. The last sentence says what it says. The only issue one could have other than that is what code cycle is the question based? 2008 then I believe the 125,000 answer to be correct, if it earlier than that say 2005 then the sentence did not appear in 220.54
125,500w or 125,500va, not 125,500kw

joebell

125,500w or 125,500va, not 125,500kw

Instead of typing the same rhetoric have you looked at 220.54 in the 2008 NEC. Can you tell me what the last sentence says.

I understand the fundamental difference between true power and apparent power but this is a load calculation question based on the NEC rules in 220.54

JFletcher

Raider1 is an instructor and like he says, many exams have wrong answers. I follow your logic as 100kw as the right answer out of what is presented, however, I still think the person messed up the math as I showed earlier.

I agree that the math is messed up for "40.625", and I quite liked the way you figured out where the mistake came in.

The "wink" and the underlined "must" was that I'm aware some tests have wrong answers, and I was making fun of that - I guess it didn't come out on screen the way it was in my mind.

joebell, I agree with the need to use 5000W by 220.54 as it's higher than the nameplate rating, but does 220.54 have to be used?

It appears that there is a discrepancy between 220.14 and 220.14(B). The first is mandatory, the second is permissive, which results in not really having to use any specific numbers to calculate dryer loads. imo, together they basically read "You are required to use a non-required article with an optional table to do your dryer calculations".

joebell, jumper is saying that he agrees with your answer of 125,000W, just that isn't an answer on the test.

jumper

Instead of typing the same rhetoric have you looked at 220.54 in the 2008 NEC. Can you tell me what the last sentence says.

I understand the fundamental difference between true power and apparent power but this is a load calculation question based on the NEC rules in 220.54
Sir, I am trying to say that it has nothing to do with true power or apparent power. The questions asks for kw or kilowatts. Is the answer, without demand factors, 125,000w or 125,500kw?

jumper

I agree that the math is messed up for "40.625", and I quite liked the way you figured out where the mistake came in.

The "wink" and the underlined "must" was that I'm aware some tests have wrong answers, and I was making fun of that - I guess it didn't come out on screen the way it was in my mind.

joebell, I agree with the need to use 5000W by 220.54 as it's higher than the nameplate rating, but does 220.54 have to be used?

It appears that there is a discrepancy between 220.14 and 220.14(B). The first is mandatory, the second is permissive, which results in not really having to use any specific numbers to calculate dryer loads. imo, together they basically read "You are required to use a non-required article with an optional table to do your dryer calculations".

joebell, jumper is saying that he agrees with your answer of 125,000W, just that isn't an answer on the test.
Yes That is what I mean.:)

jumper

Thank you, I admit I am a math geek.:grin:

I got it, my reply was meant to show that

hmmm. do not know. thought so,but....

I need a drink.:grin:

Yes,yes and yes!!!!!

joebell

You know I never thought of it that way you have something there.

:confused:
I think that everyone may be overthinking this question.

The correct answer to the question lies with what skill the writer of the test is trying to assess of the test taker. In this case, I believe that the writer is trying to assess whether or not the test taker has the requisite knowledge of the rule in 220.54 that states that a clothes dryer shall be a minimum of 5000 watts or (volt-amps). For the purposes of a dwelling calculation watts and VA are the same because you have no way of knowing what the power factor of a given peice of equipment is during this phase.

If you follow this logic, the correct answer to the question would be #3 or 125,000 watts. 25 X 5000 = 125,000.

None of the other answers make any sense whatsoever, no matter how you try and convolute this question. You must remember that Psychometricians write tests with distractors that are designed to throw you in every direction but the right one. The majority of Journeyman tests are not a test of your knowledge so much as a test or whether or not you can take "our" test.

If I were taking this test, I would answer using #3 and at the conclusion of the test notify the proctor of the possibility of a "bad" question. Some testing agencies will actually let you review your exam after it has been scored. Further, if you can prove your point, you may just get credit for the question during a review. I have encouraged several students to do this and some have turned a failing grade into a passing grade by doing so. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.