Outdoor Cable Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Is an outdoor cable tray something that is normal to install?

I'm trying to think of a practical application of 230.44 - I've never seen such an installation, so I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this. Just reading the code and came across this and was intrigued, no real world problem in my world with this at the moment.

Thanks,

iwire

Staff member
Seen it a few times, never did it.

Picture a bank of transformers sitting on the ground in a fenced in area beside an industrial type building. Cable tray used to bring the SECs into building and switch gear.:)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've inspected some industrial and some sewage treatment plants with outdoor cable tray. I have heard of no problems.
All TC cable I have seen has been sunlight resistant (not that there isn't some TC that is not)

Power Tech

Works great. Been installing it for almost 20 years now.

On oil leases, cogeneration plants. Up to 500 MCM.

We run Corflex and strap down with HD tie wraps.

Looks good too.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Seen it a few times, never did it.

Picture a bank of transformers sitting on the ground in a fenced in area beside an industrial type building. Cable tray used to bring the SECs into building and switch gear.:)

That is a pretty good description of the installation at the paper mill I work at.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
In over 40 years, I have never worked in a refinery that didn't use outdoor cable tray somewhere. Most large, campus style, industrial facilities and most power plants I'm familiar with use it too.

I've seen it used for every voltage from 24Vdc to 138kVac as well as 4-20mA and optical fiber.

cycotcskir

I sixth that! I have used them many times in Industrial and Chemical Plants.

Many of the large feeds were PVC Coated MC.

ghostbuster

Just be aware if the tray goes from outdoors to indoors under sensitive computer equipment,there "may" be problems due to the induced magnetic fields.Many consultants in our area are banning the use of single conductor coreflex cable runs(inside buildings).:)

Power Tech

Just be aware if the tray goes from outdoors to indoors under sensitive computer equipment,there "may" be problems due to the induced magnetic fields.Many consultants in our area are banning the use of single conductor coreflex cable runs(inside buildings).:)

In the early 90's we got a warning about that and terminate all conduits at the building entrance.

The MCC (AB) buildings are set up for that now with the built in place to terminate the cables.

They come with a removable lid for access from the top for easy installation.

Also in the starter bucket there is a possibly of that.

dana1028

Is an outdoor cable tray something that is normal to install?

I'm trying to think of a practical application of 230.44 - I've never seen such an installation, so I'm wondering if anyone has actually done this. Just reading the code and came across this and was intrigued, no real world problem in my world with this at the moment.

Thanks,

Is this what you had in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.