Hearing impaired Smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1cbr

I have a clinet that is elderly that have no smokes in the house. From what I have been able to find the hearing impaired smokes use a strobe light. Now hear is the problem, my client in the past has had siezures... and from what I understand strobes have the tendecy to cause siezures. The reason for going with an hearing impaired is because my client is hard of hearing. I have not encountered this kind of situation, and interested in hearing from some of you who might encoutered this kind of situation. Thanks for the input.

Power Tech

How hard of hearing are we talking about?

You can take an alarm horn 120 db @ 10'.

I think they come louder.

You can take the 3rd wire from the smoke and use a relay to control anything.

cadpoint

... Now hear is the problem, my client in the past has had siezures... and from what I understand strobes have the tendecy to cause siezures.

There are a lot of things to consider here, but the population that experience this is 1 in 4000.

One thing you have to correct for in your case is when you have two, or more, visiual fire flash's that are viewable at the same time and are out of seqence to each other. This is due to voltage drop in the service and can be corrected with in-line resistors, based on the voltage drop.

Some manufactures recommends that the speaker and signal strobe always be used in combination so that the risks from any of the above limitations are minimized.

Here's two links Epilepsy Foundation
A search engine thats listed the same

A paragraph from the list:

Under the American Disability Act, and as specified in Underwriters Laboratories Standard UL 1971, the strobes must provide greater light intensity in order that the strobes can alone serve as a sufficient alarm indication to hearing impaired persons. Unfortunately, the strobes at the higher intensity levels have been reported to trigger epileptic seizures in some people.

Your client should know if they were tested for Photo Sensivity.

A1cbr

Thanks for the information.
I know that you have to talk kinda loud for my client to hear you.
I will let you know the outcome. Thanks again.

Security101

You may also want to explore "Tactile Transducers" (or bass shakers) that could be driven with a low frequency tone oscillator to vibrate the floor or furniture - this would also get your clients attention...

Just a thought :cool:

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.