Halloween photos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebow

Pretty typical of dock work. I see a lot of it every spring when the weather calms down. And the repair cost usually makes the owner cringe.
I always double or triple the number of clamps (no more than four feet apart, three feet works best). Bend the offsets for the j boxes with heat not with clamp pressure. And always use stainless screws. A light coating of silicone grease on the box gaskets helps them stay pliable longer, and not overtightening the cover screws helps keep the cover from bowing out along the edge.
Then recommend to the owner that they have an annual inspection. I impress upon them that a couple hours of labor and a few parts is a lot cheaper than a whole dock rewire.

Gene

Remember - Speed kills and its not always you.

iMuse97

That one's not a couple hours; more likely a day, or a couple... and a lot
of new stuff.

And typical or not, was that an interior box (NEMA 1 or 2) in violation of
NEC 110.20, located less than 12" above the surface of the deck in
violation of NEC 555.9?

Occupation
Inspector
After tearing out the old "Crud" I found this.

These are the conductors that were in the 1-1/4" Sealtight, there were 4 #4's and I just about could not pull them out.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Never seen that type of damage before. Was the metal spiral in the LFMC energized and carrying current?

Occupation
Inspector
Never seen that type of damage before. Was the metal spiral in the LFMC energized and carrying current?

That is what I think.

If you look at the photo in the OP showing the LFMC you can see that the insulation is bad and the conductor was touching the metal box. Since the metal box was not grounded/bonded the current was looking for a return and everything metal was "heating up" and when the tape covering the Kerney, last photo in OP, melted to the point where the other "phase" touched the metal and blew a hole in the box and finally tripped the Main on the Pole.

Look at the small hole center left in the photo below.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Norb,

That third photo in your ninth post, showing the melted nylon (at least that is what it looks like to me) is amazing.

Is it from heating in the sealtite steel from a ground fault inside the sealtite?

Status
Not open for further replies.