maintence electric department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should a electrician be involved with comming up with other types of work or changes in a industrial company when working as a maint. electrician? What is their job anyway? Doing the same type of repairs for a company day after day has to be boring.
Working in contracting is something different everyday and never boring. I think I'll stay here.

wawireguy

Most to the maintenance jobs I see want someone with PLC and/or high voltage experience. Not exactly run of the mill skills.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Should a electrician be involved with comming up with other types of work or changes in a industrial company when working as a maint. electrician? What is their job anyway? Doing the same type of repairs for a company day after day has to be boring.
Working in contracting is something different everyday and never boring. I think I'll stay here.

Being a maintenance electrician can be either very boring or very challenging, it all depends on the company and your level of motivation. I was a maintenance electrician for many years and I learned a lot working on and installing process control systems, PLC's, VFD's, instrumentation, medium voltage power distribution equipment, etc. There were and still are plenty of maintenance electricians where I work that are perfectly content to do nothing more then change out broken limit switches and replace burned out lamps. It that were all I had been doing I would have left after the first two weeks.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Warm and dry is nice.

Maintenance jobs can be very technical and require a lot of training, it not all changing lamps.

I forgot. Don't assume all maintenance jobs are warm and dry. I work in a papermill and I have been completely soaked and/or ended up standing in a foot of water on numerous occasions. :)

Its a job that you can make what you want of it. I have worked in that position, and I loved it. As one of the previous post stated, I have worked with VFD's, Tons of PLC programming, HMI, robot interfacing, control panel design, Camera applications and intigrations, not to mention the millions of different types of sensors that are out there. There is a ton to learn and it is always changing. I prefer the industrial job like this vs. pulling wire, putting in outlets, working out in the cold/or heat....

iMuse97

I forgot. Don't assume all maintenance jobs are warm and dry. I work in a papermill and I have been completely soaked and/or ended up standing in a foot of water on numerous occasions. :)

good point! a maintenance electrician @ a partially-automated recycling facility could be cold, wet, and dirty all at the same time.

iMuse97

a maintenance electrician's job is whatever the company has for him (or her) to do, to the limits of his abilities, and sometimes it stretches those... :)

eric7379

I work in a papermill and I have been completely soaked and/or ended up standing in a foot of water on numerous occasions. :)

On the opposite end of the spectrum from you, I work for a printing company and there have been days in which I have been soaked head to toe with ink, oil, grease and everything in between just in an effort to replace a bad component on a press. Other days, I might find myself at a desk doing PLC programming all night long because of an equipment upgrade that we are doing. But then there are the days in which I spend my time resetting tripped OL's on different pieces of equipment because something got mechanically bound up.

Needless to say, I am perfectly happy doing what I am doing. It is NEVER a dull or boring moment and it is always challenging.

iwire

Staff member

good point! a maintenance electrician @ a partially-automated recycling facility could be cold, wet, and dirty all at the same time.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from you, I work for a printing company and there have been days in which I have been soaked head to toe with ink, oil, grease

Jeez guys lets not make this a 'I have got it worse than you thread'.:roll:

It sounds like alot of people enjoy that type of work. Here we are thinking it's all about changing bulbs and ballast. It seems like there is alot of responsibilty to go along with the job. I have a different view now.

guschash

When I work as industrical electrican boring it was not. We did a little of eveything which make it a great place to learn.

zog

I spent 15 years training maintenence electricians at auto plants, steel and paper mills, and other heavy industrial facilities. The people were very well rounded and spent maybe 10 weeks or more on average a year in training on specific equipment that they had in the plant. Most of them really loved thier jobs. Many of them also did EC work on the side or owned thier own business. They seemed to have something new and different to do each day, all depending on what blew up that day.

robh

It sounds like alot of people enjoy that type of work. Here we are thinking it's all about changing bulbs and ballast. It seems like there is alot of responsibilty to go along with the job. I have a different view now.

I have been an industrial electrician for 10 years and rarely is it the same day after day. Sometimes I wish I could go change a ballast and bulb where I'm in the lift and not in a hole covered in pulp and oil. Lots of trouble shooting if your into that. As others have said, lots of PLCs, HMIs, networks, drives, every switch and sensor you could think of, big motors, little motors, vision, robots, pumps, distribution, and that's just part of the electrical fun. Also get to be a welder, pipe fitter, unfortunately a plumber sometimes, fire fighter, play haz mat guy and sometimes impromptu engineer. Never dull that's for sure.

gar

Occupation
EE
091106-0917 EST

electgut21:

I have had contact with plant people of various trades in auto or supplier firms. These plants were generally several hundred thousand to several million square feet. The sizes were large enough that there were many electricians and in the larger plants the trades might be grouped for certain areas of the plant.

In general there were two types of electricians. Bulb changers and real technicians. Which type you were depended upon your goals.

In an assembly plant, for example axle where most of my contacts were, there are a lot of PLCs, some CNCs, and lots of communication. If you want to play cards all day and change bulbs and fuses you may find a few facilities that by chance want you. If you have a real interest in logic, troubleshooting, and the capability to do these jobs, then you may be in great demand.

The type of plant unionized or non may make a big difference in what you can do.

I will illustrate a union plant where the union was tolerant of the members working together. In this plant there was a young electrician that was usually assigned to me when I was at the plant. He also had a buddy that was the machine repairman in the particular assembly area where I had equipment. Our equipment was mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical in content.

Much of the time when new machines come into the plant they are not fully debugged. I need to point out that meeting deadlines is very important. Many machines in an assembly area, such as an axle plant, are one of a kind or only a few, and tend to evolve from one application to the next. This is why machines are not likely to be fully debugged by the time they are needed in the assembly plant.

Back to my young electrician. He was interested in knowing how things work, how to troubleshoot, and solve problems. Over the years as I worked with him on different problems and machines he developed his PLC and troubleshoot capabilities greatly. If we had a machine problem, possibly mechanical or electrical or both, he and his buddy would come to the job and both would contribute with each other's work. If a preload prerundown air motor had to be changed both worked on it. If the electric drive motor and clutch system had a problem both worked on it. To change the electric clutches or nut torque shaft it was electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, and air. This was a 4 to 16 hour job of several trades depending upon the problem.

This electrician usually got the jobs to troubleshoot machines, whether mechanical or electrical, and seldom was on installation jobs. From his interest and experience he has move to other jobs, head of maintenance at a somewhat smaller plant of the same manufacture, and now to a corporate process engineer, and troubleshooting at worldwide plants.

Pick the appropriate company and plant and have fun.

bobsherwood

I have worked as a maintenance electrician for Southern Methodist University for almost 29 years. We have everything under the sun to maintain... it's great! Not to mention the most beautiful young ladies in the world! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.