High Resistance Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUWired

When installing a HRG to a 3-phase 4-wire wye transformer (existing transformer) would it be correct to say that the system is not a solidily grounded system, thereby requiring the existing grounded conductors be removed?

Rick

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
When installing a HRG to a 3-phase 4-wire wye transformer (existing transformer) would it be correct to say that the system is not a solidily grounded system, thereby requiring the existing grounded conductors be removed?

Rick
You need to provide more details.

An HRG can supply a delta primary of a transformer.
The wye secondary is a separately derived system which can be solidly grounded and supply L-N loads, it does not impact the primary side HRG.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
HRG systems are not permitted to serve line-to-neutral loads. So you should only have phase conductors and EGCs for any feeders and branch circuits supplied by a HRG system, and in particular there should be no _grounded_ circuit conductors (no neutrals).

-Jon

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
After rereading your OP, I am now under the impression that you are converting an existing 4-wire secondary into a 3-wire HRG. Yes, you are creating a system that is no longer solidly grounded.

Jon is correct, you must remove all existing L-N loads. Personally, I would 'safe off' any existing grounded conductors, so that they are not mistaken as being still in service.

RUWired

After rereading your OP, I am now under the impression that you are converting an existing 4-wire secondary into a 3-wire HRG. Yes, you are creating a system that is no longer solidly grounded.

Jon is correct, you must remove all existing L-N loads. Personally, I would 'safe off' any existing grounded conductors, so that they are not mistaken as being still in service.

Thanks for all the replies. I am installing a HRG on the secondary of an existing 3-phase 4-wire wye secondary transformer with existing grounded conductors going out with each feeder. I need to identify all the single phase 277 volt loads on each feeder and deal with them. Most are lighting panels that will get a new 3-wire to 4-wire transformer. The existing grounded conductors with each feeder i will reidentify them as equipment grounding conductors and move them to the ground bar and reidentify the equipment as 3-wire.

The HRG line load conductors are going to be installed where the main bonding jumper was.

Rick

benaround

Do the grounding impedance's have a line/load for lack of the proper terminoligy, or can

they be connected to either/or end. In other words can they be flipped 180deg and still

work as they should. Thank You.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Do the grounding impedance's have a line/load for lack of the proper terminoligy, or can they be connected to either/or end. In other words can they be flipped 180deg and still work as they should. Thank You.
Technically there is no reason for them to have any specific line-load, practically, however, most commercially available ones do. This is probably because of ancillary components like current sensors and pulsing contactors.

RUWired

The perticular unit i am installing is a pulser plus pro. It requires a neutral connection to the unit and a connection to a grounding electrode that is common with the system. The load connection i was refering to is the grounding electrode connection.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.