Whole house fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Who makes a decent whole house fan that you have used and had no issues with? Replacing one right now, and am disgusted with the one I'm stuck with at the moment. Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Who makes a decent whole house fan that you have used and had no issues with? Replacing one right now, and am disgusted with the one I'm stuck with at the moment. Thanks
I don't have a specific brand to suggest, but I do recommend a belt-driven one would be quieter and last longer, due to better mechanical isolation and the pulley-size ratio mechanical advantage.

gndrod

A more than decent whole house dual fan, low sones with R38 motor driven vent doors would be Tamarack Industries. Kinda spendy but does a great job at 1600 cfm. Google www.wholehousefan.com

Note there is a video by This Old House that does a decent quick install example. (the unit in the video was not a direct wire type) In past install, I have used Intermatic digital control 4 setting timer (similar to the one in my book) with override to static temperature control. rbj

Last edited:

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I would recommend a unit where the fan is mounted in the attic and only a duct inlet is mounted in the ceiling joists. This makes it very quiet.
I have had different types and was really happy with the design above.

I cannot remember the manufacturer of mine but this link shows the concept:
http://www.quietcoolfan.com/quietgiant.html

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I think I installed the QC-1500 for a small area and it was $500-600 if I remember correctly. Spendy but worth the money if you like quiet.

gndrod

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
What kind of CFM are you looking for? I've used the larger Panasonic Whisper Quiet fans to satisfy Energy Star requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.