Escalator Pit Light and Receptacle 620.23

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcspector

Thank you all for your input. However, I don't agree that all of 620 applies to an escalator. Additionally, I believe that section 620.23 does apply to this pit as a "machinery space". The motor is located in the pit, making it a machinery space.

Thanks again for your input!

Cheryl, forget about article 620 for a minute The Elevator / escalator inspectors follow ASME 17.1 and technically that is not a pit but a Truss Interior. However, posts have ventured from the original question. If this was a remote Machine Room then Article 620 would apply.

Last edited:
Thank you! You're correct and ASME A17.1 goes on to state in 6.1.7.1.2 that a duplex receptacle shall be installed under the access plates at the top and bottome landing and in any machine areas located in the incline. I believe I was incorrectly looking at this as a remote machine "room".

Thank you for your clarification.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The presence of a machine (i.e., motor) does not cause a room to become a "machinery room." In several recent projects, I have had to provide power to "machinery-roomless" elevator systems. There simply was no place that met the description of "machinery room." The elevator motor was located at the top of the elevator shaft, and there was no separate room with additional equipment.

In the present case, the presence of a motor underneath the escalator does not create a "machinery room." So 620.23 does not apply.
I agree that 620.23 does not apply, but the reason is found in 620.2. The definitions for machine room and machinery space only apply to elevator and dumbwaiter installations.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I received a response from NFPA on this subject. Please read the following:

The wiring requirements for escalators are provided in Section 620.21 (B) which does not mandate any provisions for branch circuits. Section 620.24 provides the requirements for hoistway pit lighting and receptacle(s), however, hoistways and pits are associated with elevators and do not apply to escalators. The lower end of the truss is often called a pit, but the term pit is not used in the NEC? regarding escalators. Additionally, ASME A17.1-2007, Section 6.1.7.1.2 Truss Interior, provides requirements for receptacles in the escalator truss.

mcclary's electrical

I just wanted to let everyone know that I received a response from NFPA on this subject. Please read the following:

The wiring requirements for escalators are provided in Section 620.21 (B) which does not mandate any provisions for branch circuits. Section 620.24 provides the requirements for hoistway pit lighting and receptacle(s), however, hoistways and pits are associated with elevators and do not apply to escalators. The lower end of the truss is often called a pit, but the term pit is not used in the NEC? regarding escalators. Additionally, ASME A17.1-2007, Section 6.1.7.1.2 Truss Interior, provides requirements for receptacles in the escalator truss.

Thanks, Cheryl,,,,,,,,, as I (open my mouth, insert foot here):grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.