Running Fiber with power wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseShift

Is there any issues with running fiber optics in the same conduit as 120V or 480V power cables?

Any integrity or NEC issues?

cadpoint

Is there any issues with running fiber optics in the same conduit as 120V or 480V power cables?

Any integrity or NEC issues?

What is the usage for the Fiber Cable, is Fiber even ac or dc? :)

If your running it for contactors, relays, solenoids, and similiar control devices look at it this way. The following is in respects to the fore mentioned and I'm trying to state machine related usuage of fiber and not aginest Chris post on "Class issues".

Article 300.3(C)(1) comes to mind which limits it only to ac or dc, for 600 volts or less.

Article 300.17 also comes to mind.

Article 720, Article 725 on... might also come into play as to the use of the fiber if used in respects to a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 installs. Or Chris's post!

With 725, 725.3 pushs back to 300... in 300.3(1) if you met all of the above then it gets to meet the requirements of 310, 310.4(A) Exception No. 1,(where as I read it, your required to meet) for frequencies of 360 Hz and higher.

richxtlc

770.133 just about covers it. If the fiber optic cable has a metallic member, covering or supporting cable, that cable has to be grounded as with any cable using a metal jacket of ground wire.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the usage for the Fiber Cable, is Fiber even ac or dc? :)

If your running it for contactors, relays, solenoids, and similiar control devices look at it this way. The following is in respects to the fore mentioned and I'm trying to state machine related usuage of fiber and not aginest Chris post on "Class issues".

Article 300.3(C)(1) comes to mind which limits it only to ac or dc, for 600 volts or less.

Article 300.17 also comes to mind.

Article 720, Article 725 on... might also come into play as to the use of the fiber if used in respects to a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 installs. Or Chris's post!

With 725, 725.3 pushs back to 300... in 300.3(1) if you met all of the above then it gets to meet the requirements of 310, 310.4(A) Exception No. 1,(where as I read it, your required to meet) for frequencies of 360 Hz and higher.
Fiber is not a conductor and none of the sections you cited will apply to this installation. The only Article 300 section that would apply is 300.8, but that is over ruled by90.3 and 770.113

cadpoint

Let me apoligize, I misread some numbers twice and compounded with the aspect of incorrect terms in the Good Book!

Why I would dig deep after Chris Posted, again ... No Excuse

Funny I got a mailer today were the title stated fiber optics, verses opitical fiber. :roll:

725 was mentioned as an Exception, but if you look up the word why even mention it. :roll:

Why I would even think of trying to post anything 700, just makes me want to read on! :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.