This Old House unsafe practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
When did y'all get power down there?:grin:

we don't have it actually; its just passing through on the way to florida.

they keep promisin' to let us have some though.

iwire said:
Power company linemen fall under different rules than electricians.

i thought we were talking about safety. I didn't realize that linemen were impervious to the effects of electricity.

neutral

Hi
Can someone tell me when the show aired and where or when it might be seen again? I have never seen a lineman work without gloves.

wptski

That's the new season project house and not one of their DIY shows. Those are all contractors doing the work. Their DIY shows will have the HO helping out a bit.

here's the show info, from : http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/house-project/show-descriptions/0,,20287370,00.html

Program #2905
Newton Centre Project, Part 5 of 16
Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 1:30pm ET (check local listings)
Homeowner Gillian Pierce shows host Kevin O'Connor the progress—the first floor family room is entirely framed in, and up above, general contractor Tom Silva is building the gable-end wall for the new addition. Kevin climbs up top and lends a hand with the wall raising. Out front, master electrician Allen Gallant prepares to upgrade the service from 100 amp to 200 amp, but first he sets up temporary jobsite power by making up a new main connection from the street—with live wires. In the basement, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows Kevin how he's using a composite pipe made up of PEX and aluminum to run new lines to the old radiators. Out at the new addition, Tom walks Kevin through the complex roof framing, and they get a sense of the new library and home office space for the first time.

I might add, with live wires, with bare hands, on a ladder on the roof.

Last edited:

magictolight.com

Anyone see the latest this old house episode? The electrician was working on live unfused POCO wiring (and touching it barehanded) with absolutely no PPE and justifying it by the fact that he was on a fiberglass ladder. Seems unsafe to me and I think that the average DIY Joe is going to say I can do that and then die. What does everyone think?

I agree, probably not the best for the average home owner to see. Is their never a place where we have to push the limits on safety to get things done? If we had to follow every little rule to the T electricians cost would go up exponentially.

iwire

Staff member
For what it is worth homeowners in MA can do electrical work in their own homes.

I also think TOH was wrong to show that aspect of the job but it is a free country.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What a idiot .
1) he cut the nuetral first!
2) he has no PPE and is reaching around the bare nuetral.
3) short pants!
4) non insulated tools.

But as he said he's on a fiberglass ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.