string

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

wax%20trans.%20003.jpg

wax%20trans.%20004.jpg

These are from a early 60's transfer switch. It is part of a generator system we are removing from a building. When I looked in the cabinet I had four thoughts on the wireing tied with wax coated string. 1 Some one took pride in their work. 2 The person who did this was a craftsman. 3 I bet the poor guy hated tying his shoes in the morning. And 4 He was happy when they invented tie wraps:D

Last edited:

SEO

String was a common method of keeping conductors neat when installing then in panels and electrical gear "in the old days". I had an oldtimer who worked for me who used the process (before he worked for me) and enjoyed it. He used the term lacing in the conductors.

Last edited:

marissa2

String was and may be still be used in aircraft. I still have a roll of waxked naylon aircraft grade string that I use from time to time. It is strong and can even be used for pulling wires on short pulls.
Lou

mattsilkwood

I have rewired a few drive cabinets that were done that way.
That old work like that is so cool to me, especially to see them work through the process. It's just neat to see a couple hundred relays clicking in and out, almost like a fine clock.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Early days of the phone company they used the same method to lace their panels with wax covered string.

ceb58

Early days of the phone company they used the same method to lace their panels with wax covered string.

That is interesting. The building we are in was a old microwave phone building. The only thing left was this transfer switch and the 35kw generator. The old gen. is a three cylinder GM diesel that is big as a pick up truck. I will be replacing it with a new 35kw that I can haul in a pick up truck.

SG-1

My fingers still remember how to tie the knots, but my brain cannot begin to tell you. I love the wire ties. The wax gets on your fingers then it mixes with the dirt, for lack of a better word, and becomes a gummy mess. Wash often.

e57

Shucks, my browser doesn't like your pictures. Guess its time to log out and come back as firefoxman......:)
It's not you - "user exceeded bandwidth" the site it is on won't let you see it - just their add about the piss poor service they provide...

http://h1.ripway.com/ceb58/wax trans. 003.jpg

Anyway - if it is what I think it is - I used to have to re-do control panels in the military - and I find it very fun and satifiying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.