Parking lot lighting repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

Now as I was packing the old lamps into a box I happened to look at one of the old bulbs and it read 400watt !! Uh oh, that's right, 400watt. That's when I learned there is such a thing as a reduced envelope lamp.

I have seen fixtures that were factory marked with one wattage and had ben retrofitted to a different wattage. That's when experience can help out. A lot of times you can't read the markings on old ballasts.

They do seem to come up with a couple new types of lamps every year. :mad: The latest oddball I saw was a little bi pin metal halide. Dumb.

480sparky

If you're up in the air with either a lift or a bucket truck, change EVERYTHING out. Ballast, capacitor, igniter, lamp, the WHOLE NINE YARDS.

No reason to have an upset customer call you two days after sending you a check for the last visit and complain about the light being out again.

cschmid

I have a customer that wants me to take care of all his parking lot lights, I am not sure about what to charge. If anyone does this already and can give me some feedback I would appreciate it. I would need to purchase a truck with a 60' boom.

I can tell you that you can loose you butt on this if not careful, I am with 480 here you work on a light you rebuild it period.you change bulb and the ballast goes out week later your account is upset and your cost went up and the fee does not. the best bet is to go into the business and find out what they have had serviced in the past and how long the lights have been in use. If the lights are 5 years ild then use the cost of maintenance in your favor and bid the job to rebuild them all and then they have several more years of maintenance free use. then the customer talks to other perspective customers and your business grows because you are not trying to nickel and dime them, you are looking out for their best interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.