Table 220.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

boku0003

Table 220.12. Which of these are considered continuous? Is there some place in the NEC that tells me? I know from doing problems that Banks and Office buildings are. But I don't know where in the NEC I can find this. What else? Does it depend on the situation? I know that the definition is anything that runs for 3hrs or more at a time. But you are not always given that detail in a problem, but still need to apply the 1.25.

benaround

Table 220.12 is used to calculate lighting loads by occupancy, it is a 'not less than this

amount' type of chart. What makes you ask this question ?

boku0003

T220.12

T220.12

Let me rephrase, see if it makes more sense...

Exam question:
"Calculate the service size for a (blank) that is 5000 square feet"

On certain practice problems, Mike would multiply by 1.25, even though the question never specified that the load was continuous, nor did it say that it was on for more than 3 hours. So in doing various types of problems, I find that sometimes you still multiply by 1.25 (like Banks and Office buildings). I don't remember off hand where but I believe the NEC says somewhere that commercial buildings are considered continuous loads. So maybe a better question is, what items in T220.12 are commercial loads and therefore need the 1.25 multiplier when calculating the conductor size?

Basically, in my code book, I put a star next to the items in T220.12 in which, when doing a sizing problem, I need to include the 1.25. I'd like to make sure I star them all correctly.

benaround

Let me rephrase, see if it makes more sense...

Exam question:
"Calculate the service size for a (blank) that is 5000 square feet"

QUOTE]

Using table 220.12 for your example, without knowing the actual lighting load, you must

figure a minimum of (blank) v.a. per sq. ft. x 5000. That's it, no 1.25 needed at this point.

Your question about 'which of these are comm. loads' I don't understand, these are

occupancys they are comm. buildings ?

boku0003

Mike Holt's NEC Exam Preperation Unit 11 number 4.

"What is the general lighting and general-use receptacle load for a 30,000 sq. foot bank?"

In the solution, he calculates the general lighting load as 30,000x3.5x1.25=131,250VA. (He does the receptacle too, but let's just ignore that for now...)

How would I have known to use the 1.25 multiplier? He did not specify in the question that this was a continuous load. This is the type of question I'd see on an exam too. So I put a star next to "Bank" in T220.12 to note that when I am calculating the general lighting load for a bank, I need to multiply by 1.25.

If you ask me, I don't understand why the NEC didn't just figure that into the 3.5VA (3.5VAx1.25=4.375, maybe round to 4.5VA/sqft). If they are going to figure that banks are considered continuous loads, just figure that into the VA/sqft column.

Status
Not open for further replies.