Baseboard Heater Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I've got a situation where the customer ordered 208V rated heaters and they have 240v available for them. Will the higher voltage burn up the elements prematurely? I've run 240v to 208/240v baseboards before, but never to straight-rated 208v. Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
If they are not rated 240 there is no way I would connect them to 240.

They would run much hotter and could be potential source of fire or injury.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can't answer your element life question, but installing it on 240 would be a violation of 110.4.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Heating equipment that is rated for 240v but run on 208v operates at 3/4 of the rated power. The reciprocal of 3/4 is 4/3, or 1-1/3, which is how much of the rated power a 208v heater run on 240v will operate at.

Unless the manufacturer merely re-rates 240v heaters, doing what you asked will no doubt burn the heaters up. Only the manufacturer can tell you whether you can safely operate the 208v-rated heaters at 240v.

George B.

Heater calculations

Heater calculations

First I would try to get in touch with the manufacturer to be safe. If you have the book FERMS FAST FINDER there is an interesting electric heat calculations section in there that may be worth investigating. I have the 2005 book and page 46 has some information and formulas. Be Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.