Panel outside of the apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARUSA

Are there any articles on the code that forbidding the installation of the electric panel outside of the apartment in a building.,(in this case on the fire stairs)
Assuming we have the right working and dedicate space require by 110.26 .Can it be a problem?
Building code ? maybe?

raider1

Staff member
The panel could not be located over the stairway itself. See 240.24(F) of the 2008 NEC.

Is the stairway enclosed? This would have a bearing on what building codes might apply to the stairway.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The only related requirement is that each tenant must have access to the overcurrent devices serving outlets in their apartment. There is no rule that says that no other tenant can also have access to them. I don't happen to think it is a good idea, but it's not an NEC issue.

DARUSA

My boss asked that to me .I thing is not really a good idea but he says that is a renovation apartment and is only one apartment per floor.The panel can be locked to limit the access to other people.

raider1

Staff member
no, it cant be locked, you have to be able to open the feeder in case of fire!!

Overcurrent devices must be readily accessible. The definition of readily accessible does permit the panel to be locked.

Here is the definition:

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with Chris, other wise they would sell panels with locks on them. My concern about the stair way, other than those already addressed, is it and interior or exterior stairway? If it's an interior it's more than likely 1hr rated.

e57

If it were on a landing complying with workspace I don't see an NEC issue - but it may be a building code violation for the fire rating of the stairwell walls....

Since (depending on hieght) they would be 1-2 hour rated walls, openings would be limited to a certain area of the walls total, and a certain amount in sections of the wall. Since a flush mounted panel would be ~14.25X30"+ = >457.5sq" - I doubt it would fly in the stairs or hall - unless it were a surface panel - and then your projecting into egress...

A solution might be to put a large surface j-box - then pipe a few 1 1/4" conduits to bring the circuits in #10's derated to another suitable location. (assuming these are a bunch of 20a circuits...)

raider1

Staff member
I'm cun fused???:confused:

Here is what 110.26(G) says:

G) Locked Electrical Equipment Rooms or Enclosures. Electrical equipment rooms or enclosures housing electrical apparatus that are controlled by a lock(s) shall be considered accessible to qualified persons.

This section clarifies that a locked panel is still considered readily accessible to qualified persons.

Chris

JohnJ0906

The only related requirement is that each tenant must have access to the overcurrent devices serving outlets in their apartment. There is no rule that says that no other tenant can also have access to them. I don't happen to think it is a good idea, but it's not an NEC issue.

Here is what 110.26(G) says:

This section clarifies that a locked panel is still considered readily accessible to qualified persons.

Chris

If the panel is locked, wouldn't the tenant have to have a key for the required access?

Status
Not open for further replies.