insta hots

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a 2 pole 40 amp insta hot. What type disconnect would you use? I have a deep 1900 and single gang cover. would you use breaker lock, 2 pole 40 amp toggle switch , 50 amp outlet and sj cord?

JohnJ0906

I have a 2 pole 40 amp insta hot. What type disconnect would you use? I have a deep 1900 and single gang cover. would you use breaker lock, 2 pole 40 amp toggle switch , 50 amp outlet and sj cord?

I think I would use a breaker lock.
Out of curiosity, where is that installed?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I almost always use a breaker lock-out.

I would also, but, I have always felt like the breaker locks were a real NEC "cop out" for equipment which requires servicing or testing. If you were working on that equipment and lets say replacing the metal cover near open terminals, how may electricians are going to walk to the other end of the building and lock the breaker out. If there was a pull-out/switch there, you would be far more likely to turn it off. If the CODE is "safety", breaker locks should not have snuck in, IMHO (90E probably makes that a mute point now)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Augie what is 90E and what about 90E makes the whole breaker lock point moot? Did you mean 70E?

Karl H

I would also, but, I have always felt like the breaker locks were a real NEC "cop out" for equipment which requires servicing or testing. If you were working on that equipment and lets say replacing the metal cover near open terminals, how may electricians are going to walk to the other end of the building and lock the breaker out. If there was a pull-out/switch there, you would be far more likely to turn it off. If the CODE is "safety", breaker locks should not have snuck in, IMHO (90E probably makes that a mute point now)

Augie you have a very good point. When dealing with the larger Insta-hots
40a.In most cases there simply isn't enough room for a fused or non-fused
disconnect. I do like the recept idea though. The way I look at it
I give the service guy a choice. I clearly label the access panel of the
Insta-hot with a P-Touch label that informs the service guy as to
the location of the panel,what floor,room,panel, circuit number,and
that it is equipped with a breaker lock-out device. If the service guy still
chooses to work it hot, that's his/her choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.