A Wow from another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This is from another forum I am a member of.

How old is the place you live?

When we first bought our house the electrical sockets were just the old style two hole ones, there was no return ground to any of the sockets. I solved this by running 16 gauge bare copper wire down inside the walls and connecting them to a loop of 00 gauge wire that I stapled to the undersides of the floor joists.

This was then run to the fuse box. I now have a 200 amp breaker box but the connection is the same.

I did update the sockets with the grounded three hole kind too.

If you don?t own the place you are living you might not want to invest that heavily in the wire. 00 gauge is perhaps a little on the over kill side and is quite a bit more expensive these days than it was 25 years ago when I did it and it wasn?t exactly cheap then either.

Depending on how far away the fuse box in your place is you might want to simply run a single wire to the ground plate in it.

There ought a be a law...

e57

Sometimes I wonder if some are posting just to pull others chain. This seems to be too far from what even the uninformed may do...
Oh you can limits on the uninformed.... :roll: They get partially informed and the most bizarre things can be done. Someone on one of these forums has a picture of a recessed can - coffee can light.... :D

wbalsam1

Let's hope he doesn't get the brainstorm to run a "hot" 00 conductor and a "Neutral" 00 conductor around the house from the floor joists, too. :roll:

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
This is for real, it's from a ham radio forum.
What I would like to know is how the 16AWG was spliced to the 00 and where he landed the 00 in the panel.
Ham radio forum ... he soldered it with a Bernz-A-Matic torch and rosin flux ... <g> just like a plumber would.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Here's another one!

Here's another one!

From the same forum:

That copperclad telephone "drop" wire is very useful stuff! I also use it for very low wattage light circuits, Burying the wire in plastic pipe and using a 5 amp fuse at the supply end........ Great for yard lights.

Yes, these are real, I am not making them up nor are they.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't remember how to find it, but there was one guy who planned on solving his groundhog problem by installing live bare wires in the soil in his yard.

sparky_magoo

This is for real, it's from a ham radio forum. www.qrz.com

A ham radio guy recently approched me to install a 30 amp 240v ckt. for his 1kw linear. He wanted me to use some left over 12/3. He also told me how easy it would be to fish up the insulated exterior wall to the crawl space above with a coat hanger. It was a hip roof dropping down to zero space above the panel.

I told him to call a handyman.

marti smith

This is from another forum I am a member of.

There ought a be a law...

This is a real bummer. There are people like this all over- sometimes I daydream of what the world would be like if everyone who is willing to do this much work, was educated, or sought to be before making the installation.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
A ham radio guy recently approched me to install a 30 amp 240v ckt. for his 1kw linear. He wanted me to use some left over 12/3. He also told me how easy it would be to fish up the insulated exterior wall to the crawl space above with a coat hanger. It was a hip roof dropping down to zero space above the panel.

That must be one inefficient amp to require 7200 watts in for 1000 watts out.

Your basic 1.5 kW amp only draws 13 amps at 240 volts. (3120 VA).

rwreuter

i always run into home owners who think that everything is easy, cheap and fast. one in particular is MY WIFE and MOTHER IN-LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.