equipment protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

If the manufacturer only list OCPD sizing requirements for packaged mechanical equipment for fuse sizing can a c.b. be used instead of the fuse?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the manufacturer only list OCPD sizing requirements for packaged mechanical equipment for fuse sizing can a c.b. be used instead of the fuse?
If the unit states max ocpd to be fuses than you must install fuses to comply. A simple fused disco will take care of this to make it compliant.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, where the equipment instructions or nameplate do not specify the type or OCPD required you can use either a breaker or a fuse.

Mike01

just curious

just curious

but where in the code does it state this? "If the unit states max ocpd to be fuses than you must install fuses to comply" I know a fused disc. sw. would accomplish this but still curious where this is derived from?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
but where in the code does it state this? "If the unit states max ocpd to be fuses than you must install fuses to comply" I know a fused disc. sw. would accomplish this but still curious where this is derived from?

2008 NEC
110.3 (B)
So if it says fuses you must use fuses.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Code-wise, derived mostly from 110.3(B), manufacturer instructions.
It normally indicates that when the equipment was listed, it was only tested with fuse protection. (My understanding is that the more testing, the more the cost of the test)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Code-wise, derived mostly from 110.3(B), manufacturer instructions.
It normally indicates that when the equipment was listed, it was only tested with fuse protection. (My understanding is that the more testing, the more the cost of the test)
This is correct. Generally, fuses, especially current limiting types, allow a higher level of series protection for equipment, especially with the new SCCR requirements. They therefore need less expensive testing than circuit breakers do. To test with circuit breakers, UL typically requires a destructive test, whereas with fuses they often allow a calculated evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.